Wed 3/16 SB Fishbowl

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Wed 3/16 SB Fishbowl

Postby sd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:35 am

Wednesday, 3/16. 10:45 at Parma / Running a half hour late / now estimating 11:15
The day looks promising for Fishbowl exploration. An Ojai launch would be better to maximize the day, but I'll start in SB due to limited time availability. The Ojai lapse rate looks ballistic with the lift going high. SB looks good also, but not as stellar as Ojai. Expect some Santa Anna wind down the Santa Clara River, but overall the wind is forecasted to light this afternoon with the morning ocean pretty flat under a light offshore push from large high pressure system.

Ojai continues to look strong on Thursday with less east influence, but some weak on-shore draw will cool the coast slightly, still likely good enough for SB to work. If you can get past Summerland on Thursday, it might be a better long distance day due to the light lower level tailwind from the west.

The weekend looks weaker in SB, but still strong in Ojai with onshore flow from the west.

Today (Wednesday) looks like it will work late, and I'm time limited, so I'll start more toward prime time with a 10:45 meet at Parma (or East Beach or Carpinteria). Need to be back in Carpinteria around 5ish, so I might not venture into Ojai? Have Captain Larry Brill for crew, old time HG and sailplane XC pilot extraordinaire and currently flying left seat for Delta, mostly out of DTW, but occasionally out of LAX).

Larry and I are in tiny rental car, so if you have a larger vehicle, chime in. / Today is the peak heat day on the coast.
Last edited by sd on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
sd

Re: Wednesday, 3/16. 11:55 at Parma

Postby gracecab » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm

Who flew and how did they fare... Tom did you land at your house? Bates was windy after noon, maybe sorable from the mountain!? Ha. Looking good for the rest of the week and weekend!

Maybe we'll get some good turns in the rest of the month
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Re: Wednesday, 3/16. 11:55 at Parma

Postby sd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:32 pm

gracecab wrote:Who flew and how did they fare...

Willy, Jessie, SD, and Larry Brill for crew

EJ Launch westbound to Painted Cave Windmill, then east bound against some east headwind to the Thermal Factory, then westbound again to the VOR, then eastbound to White Ledge. Top over 7500 at White Ledge and take long butter smooth glide back to Carpinteria, flying out to sea about a mile past the salt marsh, then return for landing at the CHS football stadium. 4 hours 35 minutes airtime. / Flight Article, Track Long, and Landing Video Pending?
sd

Re: Wednesday, 3/16. 11:15 at Parma

Postby gracecab » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:34 am

Fishbowl laps it was! With a sortee over the water to look for migrating whales... sure the kids on the fields enjoyed watching a wing fly over to land!
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Return to Flight Discussion