More Mesa Flying

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

More Mesa Flying

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:30 pm

I received a call from Supervisor Susan Rose's office regarding complaints about paraglider pilots landing on Hope Ranch properties adjacent to More Mesa. The property owners are poised to call the sheriff to arrest any paraglider pilots that land on their properties. More significantly, they are lobbying the owner of the More Mesa property to prohibit launching and flying activities at More Mesa.
I agreed to pass this information on.
Bobbie

Re: More Mesa Flying

Postby pengoquin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 am

How offen do pilots land on these other adjacent properties? I can't think of any reason to land any where other than the beach or top land at launch.
pengoquin

Postby oj » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:54 pm

I was told by another pilot that the property owners own everything to the waterline. I'm a bit skeptical of that, but if it's true then a beach landing in front of the homes is a valid complaint.

Seems odd that they don't mind naked men strolling up and down the beach, but we must be dealt with being the scofflaws that we are.
oj

Postby pengoquin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:25 am

It was my understanding that the property line went to the Mean High Tide Line, pretty much where the beach meets the cliff. At Torrey Pines there are flags along the fronts of the homes to set the "No Fly Zone".
pengoquin

Postby irene » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 am

I haven't seen any post about this issue coming from the SCPA and SBSA boards. But maybe there is some discussion going on off line. I am hoping so, because if we want to keep More Mesa we'd better react.
It seems to me that we need more info: where exactly did the pilots land, when, how many times, how many pilots... Then we, as a community of pilots, and the boards, can decide what we need to do to avoid upseting the neighbors. Looks like we need to announce more clearly some comon sense rules here.
irene
irene

Postby Don F » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:15 am

pengoquin wrote:It was my understanding that the property line went to the Mean High Tide Line, pretty much where the beach meets the cliff. At Torrey Pines there are flags along the fronts of the homes to set the "No Fly Zone".

I have heard the same about the mean high tide as the line. However, that would not be the spot where the beach meets cliff. It would be someplace in the middle of the beach. Therefore, if property owners are making this claim then we should try to land as close to the waterline as possible. Although I see the obvious benefit of a flag on the cliff, I don't think that property owners should be asked to place flags. We should be able to keep in front of the ridge on our own.

For anybody who has not seen the More Mesa Flight Management plan, here is a link http://sbsa.info/More%20Mesa/MoreMesaFl ... ement.html

Or visit the SBSA homepage link above.

Don
Don F

Postby Skippy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 am

The following More Mesa Flight Management Plan was put in place recently, following a meeting with local HG and PG pilots and instructors: http://sbsa.info/More%20Mesa/MoreMesaFl ... ement.html They are posted on the SBSA website.

All pilots flying More Mesa should follow these guidelines. It is also everyone's responsibility to make sure that this information is shared with every other pilot they see flying there. When you fly there, please take a minute to approach all other pilots and make sure that they are aware of these guidelines.

If you notice any pilot not following these guidelines, I encourage you to approach them individually, and make sure they understand that they may jeapordize the site for everyone, including themselves.

Thank you all,
Skippy - SBSA Prez.
Skippy

Postby Parma Chris » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:03 am

"More significantly, they are lobbying the owner of the More Mesa property to prohibit launching and flying activities at More Mesa"

We might want to think about electing someone to contact the owner of More Mesa on our behalf since they may be the ones that have the power to cut us off.

Also, Did someone land "on the property" as in an emergancy landing? or was it on the beach.... Anyone know?

I enjoy flying More Mesa and want to help anyway possible.
"FlynSB"
My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/flynsb
My Picasa Pics --> http://picasaweb.google.com/FlynSB
Where I learned to FLY! --> http://eagleparagliding.com/
Parma Chris

Return to Flight Discussion