Friday 2/5 Expectations

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Friday 2/5 Expectations

Postby sd » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 am

9 am at east beach and 9:15 at Parma.

Friday Morning Pre-Dawn Review

Was leaning toward the Nuthouse Thursday night, but after reviewing the pre-dawn Friday weather I'm less inclined to suffer, so I'll opt for the lazy lift and head to the Skyport. Should be able to launch early (10 am?) based on the early lapse rate, but we still need the heating to block some north wind.

Might be able to go west early (Santa Ynez Peak?) then return toward Ojai eastbound. Temperature spread looks good, about 25 degrees F between the surface and 6K, with the lift going pretty high. Ojai looks like 8 or 9K midday, if we can get there against the NE flow on the east end of the course. After Mitch's presentation last night there is enthusiasm for going OTB toward Santa Maria, but I think that direction would be too much of a headwind today?... so I'll settle for a fishbowl flight, my first mountain soaring flight in 5 months (last flight on 9/11). Hope to finish the day by getting high late and taking a long downwind glide toward the beach?

Ojai still looks like the optimal call for max miles today, but the max altitude in SB is looking good also, so I'll trade miles for comfort today. Might opt to fly the Nuthouse on Sunday when the wind has clocked around to come more from the East compared to NE today.
sd

Return to Flight Discussion