Post frontal Sunday?

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Post frontal Sunday?

Postby dteal » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Wondering if the NW will get blocked in SB...anyone chasing it tomorrow?
DT
805-795-7979
dteal

Payton's Last Sunday?

Postby sd » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:50 am

David, I suspect there will be pilots checking out Bates today. The channel forecast is for the wind to back off some later today as it clocks around from the NW to the NE. There is the potential for the mountains to block later today, but it might have too much gusto by then. Montecito is blowing down pretty hard this morning, but less wind at La Cumbre Peak. Carpinteria was trickling offshore at dawn, but it's starting draw on shore at 7:45.

Yesterday (Saturday) it was NW up at the ridge line all day, but the west did finally sweep through down lower at Bates about 2:30ish. Pilots were staying up in east eddy flow earlier. It got weak during the switch, then came in with a good direction for awhile before crossing up and going offshore from the NW (I suspect). The altitude was good as the west started building. I got to 700 over the beach for an easy transition to La Conchita. Slow climb to 26, then 26 again at Pitas, but only 19ish going around the corner at Taylor Ranch.

Could be Payton's last game at noon today? I'd like to watch, but I don't have cable.
sd

Re: Post frontal Sunday?

Postby gracecab » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:28 am

Tom pls post ur flight track, im curios to the flight path you took... we were watching ur slow climb at Rincon Mtn and figured you were gonna make it pretty far downrange. Fun.
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Re: Post frontal Sunday?

Postby dteal » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks Tom. I decided to bail after all. No flying at Kagel either today - hopefully the Santa Anna won't last too long.
DT
dteal

Return to Flight Discussion