Tuesday Morning Glimpse

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Tuesday Morning Glimpse

Postby sd » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 am

Multiple flights under light rain on Sunday in weak smooth air from the Bypass and Elings, then a short soaring flight at Bates just before sunset in slightly heavier rain.

Sweet mellow air from the Skyport on Monday. Looked like a cloud street about 5Kish along the range eastbound through Carpinteria and Casitas Pass under thick high clouds on Monday (the forecast discussion called it "dirty" ridging"). Not much sun getting through, but cold air at 6K supported a good lapse rate, so smooth buoyant air, little wind, and a flat ocean.

I suspect the Skyport should block again today, and perhaps EJ's also, but the ridge line is currently OTB. Winds aloft is calling for light and variable today (Tuesday) with weak offshore gradients, then picking up tomorrow (Wednesday) from the WNW as a front passes to our north. The lapse rate looks okish. Some warming at altitude, but plenty of sun this morning. The Channel looks pretty flat without much wind in the forecast today. Likely a good day at the T-Hill and the Skyport, perhaps EJ's also if it blocks high enough?

Eagle posted a 10 am bus up from Parma this morning (Tuesday). Not sure how FAA did at the VOR on Monday, but Debbie was reporting light OTB to calm around noonish. If you need quick crew today (Tuesday) give me a call http://truax.org/3/a_tom
sd

First Thermal Flight

Postby ran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Had my first flight this year from Bates on Saturday. On Sunday I had my first flight from the Bypass to Parma, then a couple flights at Elings, and another flight at Bates, all in the rain. On Monday I had my first 2 flights from the Skyport, and on Tuesday I had my first ever thermal flight, 18 minutes, launching from the Skyport and landing at Parma.

Thanks to Tom and Chirs for their assistance / Ran Ozan from Alaska
ran

Return to Flight Discussion