Final Sunday of 2015

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Final Sunday of 2015

Postby sd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:42 am

Pre-Pawn Perception / Looks like a good day for our coastal front range for flights from Santa Barbara. There is still a bit of fading wind from the NE aloft on the east end of the course, but SB NAM is calling for light flow from the west with a so-so lapse rate up to about 6K where a sharp inversion should inhibit vertical mixing with stronger wind up higher. The SB NAM is showing a kink around 3Kish with a good lapse rate good down low and weaker up high, so no need to bus high for launch after the morning surface inversion breaks and the day switches on.

Expect some Santa Anna flow down the Santa Clara River in the morning, but it is forecasted to switch upriver by mid-afternoon with a strong lapse rate down low, (up to maybe 4 or 5K), topped by an inversion above.

Expecting blue skies and full sun most of the day, but we do have some weather approaching for a chance of rain on Monday, so we might see some high clouds by the end of the day. Monday looks windy. Friday night was super windy in Carpinteria, but it blocked nicely on Saturday as the flow clocked around to the NE. Didn't read any reports of pilots flying on Saturday, but it looked good in the SB mountains. Bates was light most of the day of Saturday, but it switched on for a couple of hours mid-afternoon.

Debbie (La Cumbre Peak), Montecito, and the Santa Barbara Channel are all reporting light pre-dawn flow. It is draining Santa Anna down the Santa Clara River with offshore flow all the way to the ocean, stronger upriver near Piru and weaker at the beach.

The Eagle Van posted a 9:30 meet for Sunday. No word from Fly Above All yet, but I suspect they will be running a bus also? Available to crew if needed on Sunday. Contact info at: http://truax.org/3/a_tom

No one called for crew support, so I'm still piddling in Carpinteria listening on the side (146.46). Not sure how the troops are faring, but there are more high clouds and less heating than I expected based on the pre-dawn forecast discussion that was predicting "full sun". Wind seems light across our zones. Mid-Channel is gusting to 11ish from the SSE. About the same velocity and direction at La Cumbre Peak with a 13 degree F spread between the Montecito foothills and the Peak at 11 am. A little stir in the Carpinteria tree tops, so Bates might be marginally soarable if the hills heat and draw in a touch more. Blowing Santa Anna down the river through Piru, but light on-shore at the beach in Oxnard. If anyone makes it down to Carpinteria, give me a call if you need a ride back to Santa Barbara. Preferable before you land so we can watch, but not mandatory.
sd

Re: Final Sunday of 2015

Postby gracecab » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:34 pm

I was on my was but didnt feel barely 75% physically there... late night picking up a daughters friend at LAX Till 130 p last night... so opted for Elings to get used to my new ride...learn some traits, turning, landing etc. to be better understanding of her limits and where excels. Then about 230 to bates for another 2 hrs in good slightly cross wind but plenty of fun. All together a great day with the low down crew. Hope someone bought up toms offer...you dont always get driving helper...

now im home wih leg cramps because i didnt drink enough all day ... ugh... lol

Lets go again this week!
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Re: Final Sunday of 2015

Postby Dizzy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Good day of flying in SB. Eagle van was full going to EJ Bowl. Day started slow with high clouds shade. Neal went first to R&R with not much love. Aaron went right to Cathedral and have to bail to the front. I waited until probably 11:30 for high clouds to pass and launched only when sun was in full on mode. Flew to the west bowl, turn around and went east. Not much wind until Montecito Peak. Aaron was 1 glide behind all the way. We could only get slightly shy of 5K. After Romero air got very nasty, I think north was sucked in through the canyons up there, so bailed to Padaro Beach. I heard sd on the radio, thanks for ground report, Aaron had radio off, so easy decision for Padaro. Easy landing on the beach, had a beer and took Uber back to Parma, only $20 for a ride. Yeah... another great day in Paradise.

Here is my track:
http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/1316097
Dizzy

Return to Flight Discussion