Pine Mtn HG Launch Technique Video

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Pine Mtn HG Launch Technique Video

Postby NMERider » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am

The Video: https://youtu.be/AorGQ8oLXHA

In light of the blown HG launch and subsequent air-lift from the South launch on Pine, Sunday I put together this very short video showing two launches in vastly different conditions. The first launch shown is in prevailing up-slope winds that are filled in with no holes or dead spots. When it's like this I can almost jump into the air on my T2C 144 and get away with it. However, this is actually very poor technique that can lead to bad habits that will bite a pilot in the ass very hard. The second launch shown is from Sunday and it was blowing OTB. The day became more unstable and thermal block was setting up. Numerous dust devils came across the setup area and swirling thermals were visibly ripping up the face of the mountain. Thanks to the efforts of the pilots who freshened up the streamers and added many more streamers, it was not difficult to see the airflow over a broad area of the ramp and time a launch run.

Because it's not possible to see the air above the streamers or accurately see 2-seconds into the future, any launch should be treated as if there was no wind and no lift. This means the glider's angle of attack needs to be set low enough that it will not stall especially on a wingtip but must not be so low that the glider does not lift enough to prevent the pilot from stumbling into one of the boulders. Ideally we want to get away from the terrain with enough airspeed to maintain control in what we cannot see coming up the face of the mountain. At least this is how I plan and execute it. I can't speak for anyone else.

From what Eddy told me, the conditions during the next hour for the next 3 pilots were essentially the same as when I launched at 1:09PM. Unfortunately, only 2 pilots used solid technique while 1 let his nose pop which resulted in a ground-loop down a very steep and rocky slope. This also prevented the last 2 pilots from getting in their flights. If nothing else, we each have an obligation to be considerate of others by taking steps to avoid needing rescue.

I have additional video of Pine launches from the past few years in case it's of value. This includes launching from the road above the PG ramp which is actually a concave slope face. However that face is all chaparral and otherwise very forgiving compared to the HG ramp.
NMERider

Re: Pine Mtn HG Launch Technique Video

Postby max hogan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Hey JD, thanks for posting this. We get away with bad habits until conditions require near perfection.
max hogan

Return to Flight Discussion