Pining for Pine

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Pining for Pine

Postby dteal » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:50 am

Given that we're SOL until the end of next month at Pine, where are y'all going to fly as this next wave of monsoonal moisture comes thru? I'm thinking about Garlock or Blackhawk, but it's a long ass drive for just one day of flying...
DT
dteal

Wednesday Afternoon look at the coming Weekend

Postby sd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:03 pm

dteal wrote:... where are y'all going to fly as this next wave of monsoonal moisture comes thru? I'm thinking about Garlock or Blackhawk...DT

Wednesday Afternoon look at the coming Weekend

Generally, the monsoonal flow offers better opportunities to fly east to west. Diablo did a flight from Blackhawk to the Twitchell Reservoir just short of Santa Maria, over 200 miles.

This coming weekend's heat wave seems to be more of a high pressure event, mostly dry, sort of a Santa Anna compressive heating effect without the offshore wind, but the marine layer should get pushed out or squashed down real low. Likely not good conditions for the coastal cliffs, but inland offers opportunities. Wind from the south on Saturday, but clocking around to come more from the SW on Sunday, and then from the West on Monday. Peak heat is Saturday and Sunday, but the direction looks better on Monday.

You can likely launch from Ojai and might be able to go OTB to connect at Thorn Point in a HG on Saturday and Sunday. Not sure the altitude will be good enough to make the connection in a PG, and the altitudes look they might be a little slim to brave the Devil's Heart route on Monday, which might work, but the cost of failure is high.

The lapse rate looks pretty good up to about 10Kish, but a bit weaker higher up, so not sure it will be good enough for long glides, but it is going to be hot on the surface, 100 in Ojai and 104 in the desert.

If I fly it will likely be Ojai on Sunday or Monday. We would need a truck, permit, and crew.

Sort of a bummer that we've been waiting for the sweet season at Pine (mid August through September) and the forest service opted to close the road due to fire danger? Locally, Mt Able might be an option, but it's a long drive for an iffy launch. Blackhawk, Garlock, and Tehachapi will likely work for going north on Saturday and Sunday, but I'm more likely to try locally out of Ojai for convenience.
sd

Re: Pining for Pine

Postby gracecab » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 am

Looks like Pine is open ? Is there an official statement anywhere? link me
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Postby Jonno » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 am

gracecab wrote:Looks like Pine is open ? Is there an official statement anywhere? link me

Your wish is granted: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4441/ :D
Jonno

Postby dteal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Schweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
'cause I just called the Ojai ranger station and they have no permits left due to hunting season...
Let's fly!!!!
DT
805-795-7979
dteal

Pine is Open

Postby sd » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:56 pm

sd wrote:Sort of a bummer that we've been waiting for the sweet season at Pine (mid August through September) and the forest service opted to close the road ...
gracecab wrote:Looks like Pine is open ? Is there an official statement anywhere? link me
Good news just in time for the weekend:

Pine is reportedly OPEN

This topic has been continued at
http://scpa.info/bb/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3227
to highlight the important breaking news
sd

Re: Wednesday Afternoon look at the coming Weekend

Postby Southside » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:10 am

sd wrote:Generally, the monsoonal flow offers better opportunities to fly east to west. Diablo did a flight from Blackhawk to the Twitchell Reservoir just short of Santa Maria, over 200 miles.

What you say is true, but Tony's 200 miler took place in early May. Here's my write up of the day: http://socalxc.blogspot.com/2009/05/bla ... o-i-5.html
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion