Saturday 6/13 Pine North Side to Cobblestone Scare

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Saturday 6/13 Pine North Side to Cobblestone Scare

Postby sd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Link to SD's Log for Saturday
Flt Articles, Weather, 3D Track, Trails, and Photos
http://paraglide.net/log/15/06-13/1_pine_ns_to_cobblestone_to_i5.htm
Saturday 8am Update. Still on track for 9 am at Ash Street to be on launch about 10:45. The mid-level north flow continues to be an issue, so we will likely need to use one of the north launch, perhaps our original 5500 foot option because the "Parking Lot" launch is overgrown. Hope to follow the feed line cross wind east bound along the south side of the range toward Lake Pyramid, but if there is too much north flow we may opt to try and pull a glide to toward beach as a consolation if we can leave high enough.

Friday was likely ODed with T-Storms. The wind looks more favorable on Sunday, but the lift looks like it goes higher on Saturday. Saturday is showing some north in the winds aloft from Pine through the western Antelope Valley. If you can get to Hwy 14 it should be a tailwind from there. On Sunday the wind is light from the west but it is colder at altitude on Saturday. Saturday's altitude might be limited by cloudbase while Sunday's altitude will likely be limited by the top of the lift. We might need to launch from the north side on Saturday with trigger line (convergence?) running down the south side of the range toward Lake Pyramid. No need to detour up to Lockwood Valley.
John Scott and Jonathan are coming up from LA with Edward Skow for crew.
Last edited by sd on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sd

Re: Satuday 6/13 - 9am at Ash Street for Pine

Postby Randall » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 pm

How'd that turn out?
Randall

Re: Saturday 6/13 Pine North Side to Cobblestone Scare

Postby NMERider » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:37 pm

sd wrote:....Flt Articles, Weather, 3D Track, Trails, and Photos http://paraglide.net/log/15/06-13/1_pine_ns_to_cobblestone_to_i5.htm...

That was a really good read, sd! Far more terrain information than I'll ever stuff into my pointed little head. :lol: I'm looking forward to more flying X/C from Pine this season. If anyone is going and has room for an HG, please drop me a line.
Cheers,
JD
NMERider

Re: Saturday 6/13 Pine North Side to Cobblestone Scare

Postby Randall » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:11 am

A real nail-biter! Awesome read and great flight, as usual. Keep 'em coming :)
Randall

Return to Flight Discussion