Bates wind event, Monday, April 6, 2015

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Bates wind event, Monday, April 6, 2015

Postby gracecab » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:36 am

Bates had a special day yesterday, starting at about 11ish. Very consitent, SW, 10-15 mph for a few hours, then increasing to 'blown out' status... 20-25mph?

I got the txt at 11am from Cracka, 'just top landed', so at 11 that's a reason to take note. By about 11:30 the gang was showing up. The direction was pretty SW most of the time (till went more cross at 3-5pm ish), but kept growing. The cooler temps? seems helps defeat the usual grumpy Bates blocking efffect, as well as the super strong wind at all elevations.

Wind speed was pretty much the same throughout the flyable gradient. Of course, the RRtracks had a nice venturi effect, which kept you on your toes, however most were coming in so high from the Wall, that being low was not happening much.

Everyone played nice, it's great that we have super consciencious pilots, and I noted lots of hand signals...I even use foot signals. :lol: Though there was huge air, there were no unusally wierd events I noted. (and I flew for about 2.5 hrs! 8) It's much easier when you have huge space between wings, rather than the usual scratching and tight tolerances at the ridges. Let's you enjoy the scenery a little more..and from a few hundred feet higher than usual too!

A couple peeps tried to go right on launch but no one stayed there much of the time, wind too WSW.

I got to top land / touch-and-go / high five / mini-wingies / big-ears / and "sky out", as well as have a long flight, I think flying MTS for 1- 1.5 hours is helping build my tolerance for longer flights... and Bates being on so long is a great opportunity to stay flying as long as you can to build up chops, too.

I think Rich gets the award for heights, he was on top of the pack most of the time, and found the top of the wave up there. I saw one HG come in and top land.

All in all a special time for a back-to-work Monday after a 3-day holiday. :!: :!: :!:
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Return to Flight Discussion