Sweet Saturday 2/28

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sweet Saturday 2/28

Postby sd » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 am

Skyport to Ventura Harbor / Article, Track Log and Photos Pending.

Bates had a bit turnout with some of the pilots flying to Ventura Harbor. It got a bit stiff mid day, but mellowed later in the afternoon with a good direction and was still soarable at 4:30
Peter Richner Video at https://vimeo.com/120920281

La Cumbre Peak has backed down to 4 gusting to 8 from the north and Montecito is reporting 5-9 from the SW. No logistics for the mountains, so I'm headed to Bates to see if I can twist an arm or 2. Bates looks good

Debbie is working again, gusting to 17 from the north and Montecito is backing down.

Bates is soarable. Stopped by to take a look and the was coming in about 7-9ish from the WSW. Perhaps a bit cross, but the birds are circling up and getting 2 or 300 over launch. Both HGs and PGs were setting up. Texture on the water, but didn't see caps. Diablo reports caps in Ventura with a healthy breeze from the WSW.

The foothills are pretty shaded in, but if we get a little sun the mountain may block. The lapse rate is ballistic, so we won't need much sun. The day dawned clear, but clouds are forming over the mountains, up pretty high, maybe 6K? More stratus than cumulus early, but I can see a little early vertical activity on the clouds over the islands.

I my lean toward the mountains if I can line up some logistics, but if we don't get some sun to block I'll probably just go to Bates.
7:50 Note:
I just noticed that Debbie (the La Cumbre Peak Station) is off-line so the reports are from last night when there was more wind. I suspect it isn't blowing as hard this morning but we are somewhat blind unless we get a report. Montecito is gusting into the mid 20s from the NW at 7:47, so I suspect there is still too much wind for now.

The NWS Area Forecast Discussion this morning is lengthy. A glance at the satellite photo shows a lot of convective cumulus activity associated with a highly unstable air mass due to a low pressure event sliding down California toward us. Most of the organized moisture associated with the low is inland over Nevada. Due to limited moisture west of the low, most of the rain, snow, and hail will come from spotty vertical thermal activity which equates to a lot of variety and flux.

La Cumbre Peak was blowing hard from the north at Dawn (gusting to 40ish / 7:50 correction, Debbie is off-line). It should back down some, but perhaps not enough for the advanced PG pilots to fly the mountains, but maybe... I wouldn't recommend the mountains to novice or light hearted pilots today, but I'll keep an eye on the station reports. The mass flow wind is forecast to back off significantly this afternoon and clock around to come more from the west, but by that time it may have too much gusto. What could get localized backflow from a vertical dump to temporarily block the west flow?

The operative word today is temporary. Whatever it's doing, it likely won't continue. With all the vertical activity and initial base wind the day offers plenty of hazards and unflyable conditions, but there will also likely be opportunities for colorful flights if you time the windows.

The wind backs down and comes from the SSE on Sunday. Flights from Fillmore westbound look like a possibility with a strong lower level lapse rate that towers, but excessive moisture and low cloudbase could be an issue.

I think some of the LA crowd are looking at Bates today. The ocean has calmed down some overnight. I think Bates may offer some transient opportunities.

Seems like the South Coast is somewhat dry behind Point Conception due to downslope flow Saturday morning, but that should change as the flow clocks around to come from the west later today and then from the SSE on Sunday. Saturday dawned clear in Carpinteria, but I can see some clouds spilling over the ridge from the north in Santa Barbara.
sd

Re: Sweet Saturday 2/28

Postby gracecab » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:33 am

Watch this video on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/120924615

Here were some of the hangglider launches for the record books.
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Return to Flight Discussion