Setllar Monday, 2/23 / Skyport to San Joaquin Valley

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Setllar Monday, 2/23 / Skyport to San Joaquin Valley

Postby sd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:47 am

Monday Post Mortem (7:30 PM)

Monday was stellar. Look forward to reading some of the reports. Light wind coupled with plenty of sunshine out front and a strong lapse rate without a capping inversion permitted vertical development. Cloudbase fluxed from the high 3s to the low 5s and eventually moved up and back behind the range at the end of the day.

Matt Henzi flew from the Skyport to the San Joaquin Valley, about 46 1/2 miles. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first HG or PG (Matt was flying an IP6 Paraglider) flight to reach the San Joaquin Valley from the coastal range. I posted some notes about his flight at:
http://paraglide.net/log/amigo/matt_henzi/2015_02-23_skyport_to_san_joaquin_valley.htm
Including Matt's Google Earth [KMZ] 3D Flight Track

Heard Eric on the radio behind Carpinteria and spotted him en route from Divide to White Ledge on his way to Ojai. Eric reported heavy development in Ojai with rain to the north.

There was a huge gaggle at Bates. Not much wind mid-channel, but the strong lift in the mountains drew in a good breeze along the coastal cliffs at an impressive angle, initially from the SE but slowly switching around to the come from the South, then SW, and eventually from the west later in the day. Spotted a hang glider crossing behind Bates headed toward La Conchita with good altitude.

The day dawned clear and cold at altitude but warm down low. A cloud street was forming on the range by 9 am.
Monday Morning Update (7:30 am)

Wow, what a fabulous looking morning. Sill humid, so coupled with a ballistic lapse rate expect plenty of towering cumulus development, likely overdevelopment in the mountains. Cloudbase is forecasted to be a tad low for getting over Casitas Pass, around 4Kish, but the lift towers so there is potential to go much higher. Expect ice above 6K. Not a much wind. The lower level mass flow is light from the west, but localized thermal draw should be stronger than the base wind. The early thermals will likely have some punch, but as the day ODs the lift should mellow. Expect it to soarable very early, perhaps around 9:30 and surely by 10ish.

I'll be working at my desk, but I have a view of the range and will turn my radio on later this morning.

Tuesday also looks good with a strong lapse rate up to almost 6K, and dryer. Perhaps a touch of thin high clouds but not enough to dampen the heating. Tuesday's flow is light down low, with more of a north component without the mass flow from the west.

Wednesday and Thursday look weaker by still okish.

Might have more weather this coming weekend
Last edited by sd on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
sd

Re: Monday, 2/23 ? ?

Postby gracecab » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 pm

1hr +, from 11:45 to... Bates, S

Got to ride the sand pony with 5 of my closest friends. :lol: OJ, Jim, Rich, Otis, Dave. Nice to have sun, and greatly consistent solid flow.

Got up maybe 75ft over at most, but the strong down low gave me lots of time around the offices... chicks love guys with paragliders... lol... one girl was reading and I literally flew back and forth over her about 30 times.... she didn't look up once... hard to get, geesh...maybe she was holding out for an acro guy.

No joy past the buildings for some reason... even though logic would indicate S would make the Eucalyptus turnpoint go ballistic...no such luck-lift is where you don't find it... so, played on the lower cliff (train track) alot with the strong up... Did some top passes, practicing keeping moving, close to dirt, without landing, but that runway is littered with bushes, streamer PVC, and people...almost took Jim out... he didn't flinch tho... he knew I had it under control.... :lol:

Super Fun! Super Duper!

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED IN THE MOUNTAINS :?: ... ERIC, MAGIC MIKE?

Eric made Ojai if anyone wants to pick him up... uber-matic.

Oh, yeah... and then there's this... as of now Henzi is still in the air... some people are just plain overachievers! :lol: :roll: :P :shock: :D :)

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Bl44UXvdoG
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Re: Setllar Monday, 2/23 / Skyport to San Joaquin Vly

Postby Southside » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Since none of the pilots that flew into Ojai have written a report I'm not sure how they did with the overdevelopment. But I just thought I'd relay my experience with what sounds like similar conditions a few years ago during my one and only flight to the interstate. I simply bipassed the Topas altogther. I flew directly to the Sulfur Mountains from Whiteledge. Three thermals later I was on the east side of the range in perfect position for a glide to Santa Paula Peak. Not only was I able to get past the shade, I did it in record time. I made it to Costaic in just over 2 1/2 hours (hang glider).

After the flight I wondered if we were doing it on wrong. I flew out to the Sulfurs to get to the sun. Perhaps they work also on a typical post-frontal day? Cutting the corner sure saves a lot of time.
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion