Mid Week Rebound Starting Wed 1/21

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Mid Week Rebound Starting Wed 1/21

Postby sd » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Tuesday night look at the remainder of the week.

Appears to be sharply better on Wednesday as the weak front moves east. Monday and Tuesday were inverted, stable, and damp down low, but unstable up higher . Wednesday's lapse rate is markedly better, both warmer down low and colder up high. Not stellar, but the temperature falls off pretty good, and with building high pressure there should be plenty of sun so I'd recommend spurs. There is some north wind above 5K, but down at our soaring altitudes it is forecasted to be light from the west in the afternoon. Should be good enough to get high over Casitas Pass. The lapse rate looks stellar in Ojai, but you will likely run into east wind.

Thursday is trending warmer both down low and up higher, so the lapse rate is almost as good as Wednesday. Less wind up higher on Thursday, but there might be some high clouds. Friday looks sunny, but the forecast is calling with a more wind up higher, in the teens above 6K, however, it looks manageable from the west down lower. The east wind appears to continue all week, so no flights to Fillmore.

The temperature peaks Saturday and Sunday, but the Nam doesn't go out that far and I didn't look at the GFS. The weekend might have more wind but it will likely be from the east so it may not reach Santa Barbara
sd

Re: Mid Week Rebound Starting Wed 1/21

Postby Southside » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:41 am

This would have been a good weekend for the Super Bowl.
Southside

Postby tommygun » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:15 pm

pretty much spot on with the forecast SD. Wensday we all got up to around 5k launching from EJ's. Had to keep the high ground as it was real difficult down low. felt the north spilling over a little bit at altitude but not to rowdy. Neil and Tahoe Eric went east but didn't get to far. They headed out around
Romero Cyn and found a nice opening to land in. Thursday we all did sleders to Parma. Overcast sky's really shut down the lift. Friday two groups one at VOR and the other down East (EJ's I'm thinking) climbed out to upper 4's maybe some 5's. some of us tried to go East and got Stuck at West bowl in small punchy conditions.
Never made it up high enough to feel comfortable to make the next transition. I heard of one maybe to pilots landing at Padero Ln. Hoping for more of the same before I head back to Colorado. thanks for the premium forecast SD!
tommygun

Postby flychild » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Nice flying again today. Got to the mid 4s over la Cumbre before heading east. Pretty much kept giving up altitude the whole way after that. Once you got below 3000 seemed you were pretty much staying there. Similar to Wednesday but with a much better lapse down low. Shared a thermal at the factory with Tahoe Eric and left with decent altitude for Montecito peak, didn't really find anything there so I continued on glide skipping past some weak thermals until I got a good one below 2K at east Romero, climbed the spine back over 3K which set me up pretty good for getting onto the castle points for a decent little climb before the glide to Padaro. Smooth as silk landing at the beach. Tomorrow looks good up to 4K or so. Oh Yeah!
Attachments
castle point.jpg
nice climb right off this trigger
glide to Padaro.jpg
final to padaro
flychild

Re: Flight Report Feedback

Postby sd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks for the flight reports from tommygun and flychild. Getting feedback from the front helps us back benchers fine tune the fudge factors.

Nice Photos Neal. Never has been water in the swimming pool (other than rain water sludge). Cynthia, one of our pilots from the 90s, used to live in the 2nd house from the east end of the ridge, the small adobe with the red tile roof. We launched from her front yard once or twice. I did a side hill landing next to the Castle pool in the 90's and got a tour from the owner before my re-launch. The flat roof "garage" is his helipad.
sd

Return to Flight Discussion