Work Week Starting Tuesday Jan 13th

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Work Week Starting Tuesday Jan 13th

Postby sd » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:03 am

Monday dawned clear but quickly overdeveloped due to excessive moisture. Carpinteria had the honor of recording the highest county rain total of an inch and a half this past weekend.

It should be drying out and Tuesday through Thursday or Friday looks good for the local Santa Barbara Mountains. By good I mean a reasonable by not strong or stellar lapse rate and manageable winds. The wind looks a bit stronger today (Monday) but backing down by Tuesday. Tuesday's winds aloft are from the west, but a high pressure Santa Anna is building and by Wednesday it is west down low and NE up higher. By Thursday, the Santa Anna is established and the flow is more from the east except down low in Santa Barbara which is forecasted to be locally on-shore.

The better XC potential eastbound is likely Tuesday, and westbound maybe Thursday or Friday. It looks good for the novice pilots all week starting Tuesday in the local mountains.

The models are currently conflicted about the coming weekend projecting widely different scenarios.
sd

Re: Work Week Starting Tuesday Jan 13th

Postby tommygun » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:57 pm

"Fat Tuesday!" Small turnout today considering there hasn't been much Mtn flying going on lately, at least since iv'e been back in town. Aaron launch first and skimmed launch for a while before climbing out and heading
East. Then the cumi's started poppin and everyone got some good flyin in. We all thought Matt had flushed, but somehow he got back into the game from low down behind the Monastary eventually top landing at the Skyport. He must have been in the air for almost 3 hours! I heard there was another top landing for retrieve. I followed Neil and his tandem passenger Josh to TF to RR then back to TF eventually topping out next to the Clouds around 3800ft. We then to the altitude for a glide to the beach! Hoping for more of the same tomorrow!
tommygun

Re: Work Week Starting Tuesday Jan 13th

Postby gracecab » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 am

Happy Hump Day (er, Wednesday) !

We had 7 PGs all launching from EJ Bowl after 11ish

I only know that Aaron had a beautiful save from far out on the EJ Spine, getting low and somehow came back to launch level. After figuring he was still way low... after I launched, I lookd up and saw a grinning dude ABOVE me... WHAT!?...How the... :o

I tried to do what he did and ended up having to putz off to the tit, but there was some great lift on the e end of the tit ridge for me to play in too.

I don't know what these paragliders are eating, but it must have pixie dust in it... some amazing flying this week... Kevin, Matt(?), Marge, Tommygun, Chad

go get some! :P
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Return to Flight Discussion