1/3-4 Weekend Perception

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

1/3-4 Weekend Perception

Postby sd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:54 am

Sunday Morning Update / The Eagle Van is scheduled for 10:15 at Parma

The temperature continues to build under high pressure today, but more so at altitude than on the surface, so the inversion that set up yesterday is more pronounced today. Surface temperatures are forecasted to be 4 or 5 degrees (F) warmer today than yesterday, but the 6K temperature is up 8 or 9 degrees. With seasonal temperatures below the inversion, it should still be soarable over the lower prime points like the Antenna Farm. The Nam model is forecasting the inversion to start around 2500 feet, however, Saturday's model was showing the inversion above 3K but I think the top of the lift eventually reached 4.
nam_2014_01-03_12z_for_sb_04_21z.png
NAM Forecast Model Sounding for Sunday / The converging green (dew point) and red (temperature) lines indicate some high clouds are likely. / Also note the sharp and pronounced inversion (actually, it's more of a flat temperature profile) above 2500

Expect Sunday's air to be lumpy under high pressure, but not as sharp or strong as Friday.

The wind is forecast to be light and the buoys are concurring, so hopefully the weak thermals will hold together. There is a little push from the north at ridgeline in the afternoon. La Cumbre was only reporting 3 mph from the NE at 7:45, but at 8:45 the reports are gusting to 9 from the NE. Still expect it to be launchable at EJ's around midday, but EJ's is likely above the inversion, so I wouldn't expect to get up from there.

Could be a gaggle day at the Antenna Farm.

By Monday the surface temperature catches up the temperature rise at altitude to kick out the weekend inversion.

Didn't hear any pilot reports yet, but from my vantage in Carpinteria it looks like I under called the max altitude by a thousand feet. The clouds lingered longer than I thought they would, and base continued to rise up to about 4Kish? before they finally evaporated around 2 pm.

The Eagle Bus is heading up from Parma at 10:30, which seems like a good time.

No need to launch high with the top of the lift somewhere around 3K. With light and variable wind above the range this morning, and Debbie reporting light SE at 8:30 am, EJs will likely be launchable, but there is a pronounced inversion above the Skyport, so don't expect to climb much higher than 3K.

It is still a cool air mass down low, so the Antenna Farm should be soarable. Will likely be ok for the students launching from the Skyport, but note that like Friday the thermals will likely have some punch due to the sharp contrast between the puddle temperatures and the neighboring air mass. Saturday's temperature contrast is less than Friday's, so the punch should be less, but the lift won't be as good either. There is some early stratus, which might help to moderate the heating and smooth the edges, but I expect it will burn off because the relative humidity is mostly low with some pockets of higher humidity.

Sunday is still inverted up high, but transitioning to a more seasonal temperatures, so I don't think it will work as good as Saturday down low. Sunday may have a few high clouds.

By Monday, a Santa Anna develops to break the inversion and flights from Ojai back to SB look possible. The lapse rate continues to strengthen on Tuesday coupled with more east wind.[attachment=0
Attachments
nam_2014_01-03_12z_for_sb_03_21z.png
Saturday's 1PM NAM Forecast Model Sounding
nam_2014_01-03_12z_for_sb_05_21z.png
Monday's 1PM NAM Forecast Model Sounding
nam_2014_01-03_12z_for_sb_06_21z.png
Tuesday's 1PM NAM Forecast Model Sounding
sd

Re: 1/3-4 Weekend Perception

Postby flychild » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm looking to fly XC on Tuesday, possibly from the Nuthouse if anyone is interested in joining.
flychild

Postby timobarker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:12 pm

On Saturday an almost full van went to skyport. Upon arrival the cycles were weak and it was ODing at about 3,000 - 3,200 ft. Aaron was off first sinking like a stone in a pool to the antennae farm where he quickly soared to cloud base. I was off second, got established in lift above skyport and left for the RR. I too quickly sank out and found myself below and behind the tit, just as Aaron was soaring overhead.
I eventually climbed out on the last nob of the holy hills.
Aaron and I had set the task of top landing VOR, then relaunching and landing at the car. We estimated that it wouldn't take more than an hour to an hour and a half.
Cycles were great when the ceiling lifted, but then it would OD again and we'd eek out zeros for a long time. It was the same at almost every point. I eventually arrived at VOR spine and started to work the lower spine above the rock pile. I was making steady yet slow progress toward the top where I thought Aaron was waiting. Then I notice that he was below me. I guess he had a low save over the T. Anyway, this is where the flight gets interesting.
I was thinking I should name this post peaks and valleys because, as I'm sure most if you are aware, that's life. On the New Years, I had a peak and wrote about it. It seems only fair that I also write about my valley flight on Saturday.
So there I was slowly making progress toward the VOR launch where I was excited to top land. Aaron was just behind me and I couldn't believe we were going to make goal....especially since the ceiling of clouds was maybe 20-30ft above launch or lower. I guess I was so excited about landing there that I came in rather low, with little or no bailout option. I was also heading down wind. I thought I'd be able to come down wind, turn in and land. As I was just approaching the last bushes before the launch, I hit a pocket of sink and realized I had two options, piling into rocky earth or scraggly bush. I chose bush. I crunched in rather hard and my glider swiftly flew over my head and landed in the next velcro like bush. I think I stunned the three pilots that we're sitting there waiting to launch. Sorry Bader.
Anyway, I walked away with all limbs attached and a full dose of humility and reality. I think back on the moment before the incident and can't figure out what I was thinking. Chances are I stopped thinking due to the excitement of making goal. I've learned a valuable lesson here, maybe one that is obvious to everybody else. It was to Aaron at least, as it was one of the first things he said about it: Patience! In our sport patience is everything, especially when getting ready to land. Have a game plan, feel it out, adjust the game plan as necessary and execute.
I had a game plan, but I didn't feel it out. Aaron, in his top landing wisdom made a pass or 3 before deciding how and where to land. I'll be more patient next time to determine the best method. There will be a next time too, because I think it can be safe and fun when executed correctly.
It took us over 30 minutes to pick the glider out and set up again. Thanks Robin for your patience and thank you Stan and Aaron for all the help.
It took over an hour to get to the VOR, but only 20 minutes to get back to Parma. It was a great day and super fun, minus that little valley!!! Soaring the clouds was beautiful!!!!

If anybody has any other pearls of wisdom about top landing, I'd love to read about them.
timobarker

Postby gracecab » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Seen on Bob Peloquins GPS... backing you up on the patience thing Tim... especially on Parma landings.
Attachments
image.jpg
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Postby robinc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm

A couple of photos from the Saturday VOR adventure.

IMG_0716.JPG
Tim's VOR adventure, photo 1
IMG_0717.JPG
Tim's VOR adventure, photo 2
robinc

Return to Flight Discussion