Friday 12/26 Bus Load over Casitas Pass

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Friday 12/26 Bus Load over Casitas Pass

Postby sd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:39 pm

SD's Xmas Weekend Summary posted at:
http://paraglide.net/log/14/12-26/2_summary.htm

Including an item index with a table of links to the weekend's
Flight Articles, Track Logs, Photos, and Videos
http://paraglide.net/log/amigo/0_occasion/2014/12-26_n_27/weekend_item_index.htm

Debbie has been down since Thursday afternoon. La Cumbre Peak is likely blowing OTB at Dawn, but not gusting to 28. The Winds Aloft Forecast is calling for LnV up through 6K this morning after a little heating. Dress Warm.

Not sure if the Eagle Van is running a bus. They posted for Elings but not Parma. Jonathan and Tavis are coming up from LA, and Max is reportedly running his truck. On schedule or earlier for 9 am at East Beach.

FlyAboveAll is reportedly meeting at the T for the VOR. Not sure which weather indicators they are looking at, but I'd recommend staying away from the ridge lines and San Marcos Pass. We want to maximize protection from the north wind which will be stronger up high and through the passes.

The forecast seems to be tracking the earlier model predictions. Expect it to be cold and windy Thursday night, but back down and block quickly at the lower altitudes Friday morning. The lower level lapse rate is very strong, so expect the lift and the sink to follow suit. The thermal strength will likely be intimidating for the rookie pilots midday, so I'd recommend they launch early before the temperature spread goes ballistic. I'm scheduled to do a tandem flight with Peter, so being a tad heavy I might wait until 10:30 to launch rather than trying to get off around 10ish. Unless someone wants to push the meet time up, I'll likely shoot for 9 am at east beach to arrive at Parma around 9:15 for a 9:25 roll to be on launch at the Skyport about 9:45? Dress warm.

Friday looks like it has the potential for reasonable alignment.
A cold front is moving through tonight (Wednesday) with clearing skies on Xmas day (Thursday). The lapse rate Thursday afternoon is improving, but the wind may be an issue.

By Friday, a Santa Anna is setting up some offshore flow down the Santa Clara River, which might be a dead end. Friday's lapse rate looks strong down lower with freezing level below 6K and a pronounced inversion above. There is some stiff north wind up higher, but the sharp inversion should inhibit vertical mixing so the forecasted lower level winds below ridge line are mild from the east early and light from the west by midday. The inversion and upper level north wind should cap the max altitude somewhere around 5K, rising to 6K through Casitas Pass and Ojai.

There is some east wind forecast for Ojai early, but by the afternoon it slackens some. Higher up above Ojai, the wind is stronger from the north. The midlevel east flow in Ojai drops down to zilch by the end of the day, but the Santa Clara looks like it blows down river all day at least through Fillmore. The lapse rate in the Santa Clara is good up to about 5 K, so if we can plug up to Santa Paula Peak we might be able to bridge across toward South Mountain and Somis, but 5K is a little low to get across the river. Personally I'd be hesitant to head out into the river without a wind report from Santa Paula and Fillmore.

Looks like it should be soarable pretty early in Santa Barbara on Friday, sometime around 10ish. To maximize the day, I'd recommend an 8:45am meet at East Beach to rendezvous about 9 at Parma for a 9:15 roll to be on launch at the Skyport by 9:35ish. The first leg from the Skyport will likely be westbound, so a later meet time will work also.

Saturday also looks ok down lower in Santa Barbara, but not as good as Friday with a fading lapse rate and earlier flow from the west.
Last edited by sd on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
sd

Re: Friday 12/26

Postby Southside » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:46 am

Not that Tom needs confirmation. But I concur with his forecast. Save for the strong winds above the inversion it looks like the best day all season. I'll be in San Diego with the family so I won't be there to join you.
Southside

Re: Friday 12/26

Postby cortfly » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:51 pm

just checked the models...set up for a very solid lapse rate, moderate north at altitude, lots of sun, all the ingredients for a potential epic day....... hope I get off soon enough to hit it !!
Cort
cortfly

What you missed if you didn't fly

Postby NMERider » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Me (HG), Marty D. and Matt from UT (both on PG) all landed within a half mile of each other. Matt and Marty team flew. I was mostly on my own except for a few turns together with Max by the powerlines and again by West Divide (I think). It was blowing 15 to 25 from the East in Fillmore all came to a stop at Santa Paula Ridge. A large number of PG crossed the pass and landed at Nordhoff HS including SD with his second tandem of the day. Max made some mind-blowing low saves and landed by some restaurant several miles past Nordhoff HS. Too many details and stories to tell. I'll just edit my video and hopefully I'll get a bunch of track logs to add to the track animation.
Here's a snapshot of mine (red) and Marty's (green) flight tracks (43.6 mi each).
2014-12-26 JD & MD GE.jpg
Marty (green) & NME (red)

One of the best views of my flight. 7,100' approaching Topatopa Bluff. We could see bright white snow along the tops of the San Gabriel Mountains. In particular, 9,400' Mt Baden-Powell some 77 miles away was spectacular. It was that clear of a day.
134342 7.1K.jpg
Topatopa buffs from 7100' with snow-capped San Gabriels in the distance.

All tracklogs are welcome. I'll try to use whatever I can in the track animation. Just email me using nmerider at gmail
Last edited by NMERider on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMERider

Re: Friday 12/26 9 am at East Beach

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:55 am

Super fun day Friday. Thanks Tom Truax for the pre-post "heads up" and phone call. Always appriciated.

Also thanks Jonathan for the commute to East Beach, and to Alex? for the ride up the hill, and for the ride back to Ventura (Tavis and Jonathan). Sundowners predictions were spot on, and it was appreciated to hear his thoughts right before launching.

It was a great surprise to see Matt Dadam (sky god extraordinare) at Sky Port when we all piled out of the truck, and we were determined to go fly somewhere together. I tried to show him around on such a great day, but truth be told we really helped each other and flew the whole flight together. Team flying isn't just a good idea, it is a great one. Of course, Jonathan managed to pull a great flight, complete with low saves to land at the same place, so kudos for your solo effort as usual.

Here are some glamour shots of Matt, the view, and so forth.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110871143058661933036/albums/6097393950935435393

The air was so clear and altitudes so good, it made for some great vistas and was worth braving the cold to see. Stoked to hear so many made it through the pass and I am looking forward to those stories. Aaron AKA "Cracka" LaPlant, is that your first para trip past white ledge on a pg??? Shazam! Your fishbowl days are over! Congrats.
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:04 pm

good clean fun with timmay and neil struggling into the wind west of san marcos pass and high fiving the climbers at lizards mouth. the rest was a fun, beautiful , downwind, float with timmay, neil and tavis. the new artik 4 could be flown by a baby and glides like a sailplane. almost makes it too easy ;)

nice pics marty, and its all one big fishbowl baby,,, bubble, bubble :)

float on brothas and sistas
Aaron

Postby dadam » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:59 pm

I feel lucky to have hit such a good set of weather for a short impromptu trip to SB. You all have a world class flying arena and are world class folks. Thanks Marty, Tom, Rob, Aaron, Tim, Brian & kelly and Jonathon for the hospitality and a memorable stay in SB. Yeah!

Matt
dadam

Postby flychild » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:06 pm

An epic day! Lots of pilots flying high and far. Tim and I chased Aaron west over the 154 as far as lizards mouth before hitting some west wind and turning back eastbound for the flight towards the pass and onto Ojai. As we approached la Cumbre Dean come over the radio that he had top landed EJs and was about to relaunch. Way to get it! We had some easy gliding eastbound and a good climb or two to get us to the powerlines where we got stuck low on the ridge for a while. Considered flying out to Bates at this point but went back upwind in search of a trigger that might work better than powerlines ridge which just wasn't delivering. No deal. Turned back to powerlines again, nothing. Finally decided to continue east just a bit more in search of a climb before throwing in the towel and quickly got a climb that took me to divide peak, then stepped it up some more for the transition to the front of white ledge. I was climbing while gliding up the front of the peak and over the pass. Long downhill glide towards the 33 and onto the nordhoff massif. Made it to the upper Ojai valley and just a short glide away from the Santa Paula ridge, but I was a little nervous about continuing on due to the east wind blowing down through the Santa Clara valley. Turned back for Nordhoff high school where Aaron and Tavis had landed. As I made it back to the Nordhoff ridge Tom was arriving from the west on the tandem with Stefan, his second flight of the day. We landed at the high school, met up with Aaron and Tavis. Peter drove retrieve. Thanks Peter! 5 hours 7 minutes, 65 miles around 3 turn points. Awesome day flying with friends! Doesn't get any better.
Attachments
skyportCrew.jpeg
sky port crew (Aaron w/ new wing)
Tom&PeterSkyprt.jpeg
Tom and Peter
westWithTim.JPG
Westbound towards Lizard's mouth with Tim
EastVOR.jpg
eastbound approaching VOR with Tim and Aaron? at the VOR
estbound2thePass.jpeg
eastbound towards the pass
gliding2Ojai.jpeg
gliding into Ojai Valley after crossing Whiteledge
santaPaulaRidge.JPG
Santa Paula ridge and peak from the upper Ojai Valley
nordhoffHigh.JPG
Nordhoff LZ with the crew and our ultra fast retrieve vehicle
Last edited by flychild on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flychild

Postby cortfly » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:22 am

Great photos, Marty ! I tried to download a couple, but they come out really small, with bad resolution if you try to blow them up..any suggestions ?

Cort
cortfly

Postby NMERider » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:24 am

cortfly wrote:Great photos, Marty ! I tried to download a couple, but they come out really small, with bad resolution if you try to blow them up..any suggestions ?

Cort
The little arrow in the upper right-hand allows you to download the entire set as a 72MB zip file. Or you can play it as a full-res slide show and download just the photos you want. You may need to be logged in to Google+. I can't say for sure.
Attachments
Download Arrow.jpg
NMERider

Google Photo Download

Postby bb_secretary » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:53 am

cortfly wrote:Great photos, Marty ! I tried to download a couple, but they come out really small, with bad resolution if you try to blow them up..any suggestions ?

Cort,

There is a button/icon at the top of the individual photo screen that says "More". The drop down list gives you the option to download the individual photo. It will download the full size photo regardless of the zoom level. I think most of Marty's photos are 3264x2448 pixels (about 3MB each).

As Jonathan noted, you can also download the entire photo set from the thumbnail page. The dropdown option is under the check mark in the upper right hand corner.
bb_secretary

Postby flychild » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:32 pm

posted some new photos from the flight
flychild

Short & Sweet Video Edit

Postby NMERider » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Teaser edit of the entire flight plus lots of track logs: http://youtu.be/eKMNY1CkUu8
NMERider

Return to Flight Discussion