Mid November Weekend 11/15-16

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Mid November Weekend 11/15-16

Postby sd » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Saturday morning update:
The forecasted wind aloft is developing into a more of an issue in the later model runs. The lapse rate does look better for Sunday compared to Saturday, but there is also more wind aloft on Sunday. We may have some protection from the wind below ridgeline due to the sharp inversion, and the soaring may be ok at the lower altitudes. Ojai's lapse rate for Sunday does look strong up to about 7K, and the sharp inversion might offer some protection from the stronger winds up higher, but the potential for wind is too much for me to risk investing a day, so I'll likely pass this weekend.

There is potential for ok flights down lower in SB, and dynamic flights at higher altitudes in Ojai, but there is also the potential to get skunked in Ojai. Flying from the lower launches in SB might be a more conservative option, and of course, there is the coast, but Bates is fickle and there isn't nearly as much wind below the sharp inversion.
Sunday looks like the better day, but there is a sharp inversion starting about 6 or 7K in Ojai and much lower in Santa Barbara. Wind is from the west in SB, but from the East in Ojai. Would probably recommend launching from Ojai because the lift looks stronger and the altitude looks significantly better. Plan on flying west initially, but turning around when you encounter west wind either over Casitas Pass or west of Casitas Pass. Not sure if anyone has a permit. You might want to check with Chris Grantham at Fly Above All, or you can a reserve at permit with the Forrest Service up to about 3:30ish today. I think they are open till 4:30, but they don’t like last minute calls of Friday afternoons. They are closed on Saturdays. SB looks good down lower, but the lapse rate flattens out above 3500. If you launch from SB and are able to get to the power lines, expect the altitude to get better at Noon Peak and you can probably make it over Casitas Pass.
Attachments
nam_2014_11-04_12z_for_sb_16_21z.png
Santa Barbara NAM forecast for 1PM Sunday
nam_2014_11-04_12z_for_ojai_16_21z.png
Ojai NAM Forecast for 1PM Sunday
sd

Re: Mid November Weekend 11/15-16

Postby SA » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Sunday turned out to be pretty sweet in Santa Barbara with Pilots getting to 5500. The Eagle Van departed from Parma at 9:45am to find sweet cycles at launch. The high clouds shaded things for a bit, but it opened up nicely and pilots were climbing out nicely from Skyport, and getting tall over the double R. Congrats to Andrea and Ted for their first high flights, and to Karill who is visiting from the east coast. Thanks to Brian Howell for running the crew up the hill. We block a Santa Ana pretty well here in Santa Barbara. The temperature at the peak was 55F this morning, and the forecasted high temperature was plenty good to set up the thermal block and unleash some sweet lift. The winds aloft forecast was reasonable as well. So don't make the rookie mistake and be discouraged by the Santa Ana's. Its smart to stay off the launches on the ridge line on these days. The Skyport was made for days like today. Thanks SD! We will be back up there tomorrow, come join in on the fun if you can play hooky.
Rob Sporrer
SA

Postby gracecab » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:09 pm

So cool to know all the pilots who could, did get to some great airtime this weekend. At 7am in Ventura, the wind was already 10 offshore, and i knew it was going to be good for my buds up the road. I hear Bates was big too, and know a couple came down just to fly, so they scored big. We are welcoming the Winter with open arms and open canopies...bring it. Be safe all yall, and live to fly another day. Even tho I spent the weekend with the fam. it is great knowing peeps were doing what we love.
Chris Ballmer aka gracecab
Ventura, CA
UP Kantega XC2 / Gin Verso
gracecab

Postby Dizzy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Day was much better than expected. I flew from Skyport to VOR to Padaro beach, full report and some pictures are here:
http://skydizzy.blogspot.com/2014/11/skyport-to-vor-to-padaro-beach-flight.html
Dizzy

Postby dteal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice flight Alex. I'm kicking myself in the ass because it was so strong NE here (and Kagel) that I didn't even think about checking SB wind. Then about 1PM my brain finally connected a few nearly dead cells and I look at LaCumbre peak and it's frickin blowing in! Rats!!!! Too late for me to head that way from Moorpark. The sad part of all this is that I know SB blocks in Santa Anna conditions. Nincompoop!
DT
dteal

Gimme Shelter

Postby sd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Sounds like Eagle's students had memorable first high flights. Look forward to flying with them soon. Thanks for being optimistic and running a bus.

Alex and Neal, sorry I missed the day. Your track logs indicate it was much better than I expected. Downwind both directions? Almost no spaghetti except perhaps a bit at Ramero, and I'm not sure what Alex was doing over the Alternator? Thanks for visiting Alex, and please bring good weather again next time you're come to town.
sd

Return to Flight Discussion