Sunday Sirens / 9/28 / SB Season Opener

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sunday Sirens / 9/28 / SB Season Opener

Postby sd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:57 am

Santa Barbara Mountain Season Opener / Last Sunday of September
Link to Sundowner's flight article for 9/28/2014
http://paraglide.net/log/14/09-28/1_skyport_vor_piru.htm
and the photos set at:
http://paraglide.net/log/14/09-28/photo
Saturday was our first wannabe post frontal event of the upcoming season. (I'll post my report from Bates Switch later). Today (Sunday), and Monday appear to be a typical post frontal progression with decreasing winds and warming.

The temperature spread from the surface to 6K is in the mid 20s. Healthy for September, but not stellar. The lapse rate appears to be better in Santa Barbara than Ojai.

Don't expect super high altitudes. the NAM was much stronger on Saturday, but it may be good enough to get over Casitas Pass, and if you do, you should be able to reach the bus stop in Fillmore.

Debbie was light and variable at dawn and cool with a fair amount of humidity, so we should be able to launch early. There will likely be some early clouds burning off as the day warms.

Not sure if the schools are running a bus, but I'd recommend 9:30 to 10ish at Parma
Last edited by sd on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
sd

Sunday Sirens

Postby Faoro_Ron » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Although the day didn't end up well for me, I'm glad Sundowner called me this AM and rallied the troops for a good day of paragliding. He is in Piru looking for a ride and I am nursing my pride in front of the computer screen after four beers at Derf's with Dave Bader, Bart, Bob Hurlbett, Benson and his brother, Duncan, to take away the bitter taste of a bad outcome at Skyport.

Actually, it was a great outcome, all things considered. It just seemed bad when the four emergency vehicles and the helicopter were summoned to launch after I settled in the bushes 250 feet below takeoff. I had the wing in the bag after 30 minutes, but I heard the first siren 15 minutes after landing - then the second, then the third - as I watched the fire trucks climb slowly to Skyport up Gibraltar. Damn, I hate it when this happens.

So, here is what transpired. I have not flown in four months, and very few times all year, so I was very careful to set up properly and get a good launch. I got off well enough on the second pull-up. The house thermal was working well and I immediately climbed above launch. Even though I had adequate altitude, I chose not to complete a 360 and did an S-turn back toward Eliminator. I sunk out, but I knew the house thermal would be there for me on return. I turned away from the terrain east of launch and a big surge made me bury the brakes somewhat. Autopilot dictates coming off the brakes slowly and letting the glider fly as I tried to penetrate deeper into the thermal that I had entered on the edge. Suddenly, I realized the brakes were mushy and the glider was not flying. The wing fell behind me and snapped as I lost altitude. I expected it to fly again and I assumed I was hands up, but Dave Bader said it looked like I still had a lot of brake input when he looked at the wing after the snap. I was now drifting backward in parachutage and the wing never flew again. I couldn't see where I was going and I sensed I was falling all too quickly toward a significant injury, a good story or both. Since there was nothing I could do, I simply thought about the Punji stake-like, fire-hardened manzanita and the giant boulders below me. Then I landed.

The harness had been rocking mildly while falling, but when I landed it was soft as a feather. Thank you once again, deities, for preserving my future for more meaningful endeavors. As I said, it wasn't long before the sirens were audible. Having regrettably been in this situation a few times before, I knew they were for me and I wished I could call them off. However, I almost made it back to Skyport before they descended the rotten terrain below launch to help me and they were the nicest guys imaginable. I feebly tried to explain that not all pilots are this inept.

But here is the strange thing: That is the third time my wing has gone into parachutage inexplicably in the last five flights! All this follows my aborted launch about nine months ago (Manzanita again) where I broke three lines. That was definitely pilot error since I stepped off with half my wing un-inflated, thinking it would snap open once airborne. We fixed the three lines, but my suspicion is that something wasn't connected correctly. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it. We will send the wing in for analysis (admittedly, it was sent in after the first parachutage where I (happily?) landed next to a dozen naked coeds at More Mesa) and got the wing wet on one tip and had to hose it down to remove some sand. But did they do a complete line check? If the wing checks out fine, you will never hear me mention it again and I will be flying a new DHV-1 next time you see me. If not, I will prominently display the results on this website. The wing had never done that before in the one or two years I have been flying it.

Tom Truax just callled. He hitched a ride to Fillmore to make the bus and his wife Pam is picking him up in Ventura. Dave Bader and Bart bought me lots of beers ($54 tab for pitchers); everyone else had a good flight and Sundowner is on his way home after another epic flight, so all is right with the world.
Faoro_Ron

Re: Sunday Sirens

Postby timobarker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Community Above the Clouds!!!

What a day! I'm sitting in my lazy boy chair with my feet in the massager and a beer in my hands recollecting on our day. It came clear to me today that we share a very unique community experience. Although we arrived at Skyport in different cars, left without saying goodbye and rarely spoke to each other through our individual flights, we had yet another amazing experience together!

On my eastward stretch I passed SD before he went big, and circled with Aileron and Neil. Then on my downwind from Painted Cave, I passed Bob heading into the west wind. Hang gliders were eye candy everywhere!

It was an exciting day for sure, a few pilots barely cleared the power lines off of launch to soar to cloud base and others went straight there off of launch. Pilots flew from West of 154 (Windemere Ranch Aaron) to the 5 (SD) and many pilots landed at a beach (Bates, Padaro and East Beach).

Although I landed at Parma and had my own flight, I consider your day part of mine and I hope that you consider my day part of yours. That was my vision as I was pasted to the clouds above Cathedral on the downwind leg of my flight. Your successes, adventures and misadventures only add to the value of my experience in the mountains. Thank you all for a great day!
timobarker

Postby SA » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Well said Timmy! Wow! The season has kicked into gear. Nice when it lines up on the weekends so more of the tribe can get out there and share the air together. I’ve been watching with envy from the training hill.

Ron, I’m glad you are unscathed from your event. You certainly have some deities looking out for you.

I’ve got the same laser line-measuring device they use to check glider line lengths at the world championships. No need to ship your glider away. Drop your glider off at my place and we can provide that line inspection service locally.
Rob Sporrer
SA

Postby Randall » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 am

Ron, might I recommend the new DHV1 Mescal 4 from Skywalk? You'll love the jet-flaps ;)
Randall

SB Season Opener / Skyport to VOR to Piru

Postby sd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:29 am

Santa Barbara Mountain Season Opener / Last Sunday of September
Link to Sundowner's flight article for 9/28/2014
http://paraglide.net/log/14/09-28/1_skyport_vor_piru.htm
and the photos set at:
http://paraglide.net/log/14/09-28/photo
sd

Re: Sunday Sirens / 9/28 / SB Season Opener

Postby BobA » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Wow, great write-ups and pics!

What a great Sunday! - Super stoked to have made it out and flown with you all! Vivid memories came to mind all week! :D

Notables: Jon got me to go, Cathleen lent me her fleece on launch, Ron helped me detangle my lines, lots of colorful gliders out marking lift, managed to tag Painted Cave on second attempt from VOR using SE thermal draws diagonal into the back, lots of strong lift, had nice stall flying back into strong thermal lee-side while heading back west from Romero road cut at layer cake area (nothing like swinging outward looking backwards watching those tips try to kiss - ahiee! :twisted: ), found convergence spots from Inspiration Point to lower lower Parma and out over town with Max, tagged Brophey's, and Chris and Neil picked me up from the beach with perfect timing after retrieving from Carp!

One of those killer days! 8)
The sky is calling.
BobA

Return to Flight Discussion