Mid Sept Heat Wave / 111

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Mid Sept Heat Wave / 111

Postby sd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Link to Sundowner's Article for Sunday 9/14 plus some other flights during the period
http://paraglide.net/log/14/09-14/1_nuthouse_past_garlock_111_mi.htm

So after excessive analysis, my perception is that I miss the "good old days" before the information age when we went flying on the weekend (both days), not because the weather was aligned, but because it was the weekend. It was hard to pass up Saturday, but I haven't flown the mountains in 4 months and can only budget one day (married with kids).

For Sunday, Sylmar looks like a sure thing without obstacles for the first 50 miles or so. Get high and point east with the intention of going OTB somewhere around Cucamonga. Problem is that after Interstate 15, it appears to be SSE down low, however, it continues to be SSW above 6 or 7K. Looks like Kagel is good for a hundred miler, but the distance potential may be better launching further west and taking a route that is more north where the flow is consistent from the SW at all altitudes.

Pine is a bit problematic for paragliders because there is a slug of south wind above 10K crossing I5, which makes it difficult for a slow glider to reach the Antelope Valley. Once established in the Antelope, the sailing looks good. Likely taking a line north of Edwards, perhaps up toward Garlock, but maybe a bit further south heading east along Hwy 58.

I think the PGs can get to Lockwood ok, but may have trouble crabbing against the south wind from Frazier to reach the Antelope Valley, so... I'll try to avoid crabbing against the south wind by putting on my masochist cap and hiking up to the Nuthouse Launch with the intention of going OTB from the Topa Topa range east of Hines Peak for the mountains east of Mutau Flats.

HGs are heading to Pine. I'm planning to leave Carpinteria about 7:20 (after I log the morning weather that comes out at 7). Ill meet Chris Paul in Ventura at 7:45 at the end of Ash Street (in the parking lot by the foot bridge over the freeway). I want to be on the trail by 8:15 to avoid the heat. Ojai temps were over 80 degrees by 10 am and over a hundred by early afternoon today (Saturday). I won't be able to make it to launch if I don't start hiking early. Expect to launch around 11ish. Call if you want to carpool from Carpinteria, or meet us in Ventura or Ojai. Brendan is game. Marty is at the Training Hill. Dr Andy and Travis? The Spin Doctor (Ron Faoro) is finishing up a 500 mile bike ride in Oregon and Tom Pipkin is on his way to San Diego for a fishing trip. Anyone up for a tandem over dinosaur country?

The XC PGs outnumbered the HGs 7 to 1 from Marshall on Friday, but the HGs will outnumber the PGs by a bunch on Sunday.

Logistically, a half a dozen HGs or more are heading to Pine. I think they will have Edward for crew. Max, TQ, South Side (John Scott), John (from SLO?) and Jonathan Dietch (from Long Beach). Hammer and John Greynald are maybes. I think they may also have a few more pilots that aren't planning to go XC. Diablo will likely be in the mix as well. Edward was crewing for Max's truck today (Saturday), so we should get some reports.

Still sitting on the fence about where to go, which partially depends on logistics. My preference would be Chiefs, but the ranger station was booked up on permits so the earliest reservation I could get was for 2 weekends from now. FlyAboveAll doesn't have a Nordhoff road permit for this weekend either, so unless someone is willing to take a peak in the mailbox and notice the gate combo, I don't know that we will be driving to Chiefs

Ojai would be my preference over Pine due to south wind in the forecast, which is typically amplified at Pine's South Side Launch. I think we could connect into the desert from Ojai on Sunday. As John Scott noted in his posts on Wednesday and Thursday, this weekend is serving up big altitude on the front range. Based on the Nam soundings, we might expect 11 or 12K in Ojai, and a little higher over Lockwood Valley. The flow aloft seems to be from the SSW on Sunday with some east off to the east. Friday's observations, recorded SW on the front range, but ENE out in the desert. Pilots launched from Crestline around noonish on Friday, but had to hang on until 12:30. They got high and went OTB eastbound. Alex Gagarin (PG) landed near Fairmont (mid Antelope Valley, 73 miles). Alex's max altitude was around 13K.

Sunday and Monday are calling for more cloud development. As John noted on Thursday, the wind looks less east on Sunday, so I need to retract my Tuesday assessment that we would be able to easily fly back to SB. That perception was based on the upper level flow being from the NE, but now it looks like Sunday's flow will be from the SSW, with some east further east.

There seems to be some consensus that Sylmar westbound may be a good option for Sunday, but we'll re-evaluate later today. I'm also considering hiking up to the Nuthouse, but wherever I go, we need crew, so I'll have to go with the flow.
A mid September high pressure heat wave is forecast for the extended weekend from Friday (9/12) through Tuesday (9/16). Saturday's lapse rate looks impressive up to about 12K (Tuesday's NAM isn't showing Sunday yet). Multiple sites should work including Ojai and Pine, with flights back to SB possible. Due to the light flow from the ENE, some pilots (HGs?) are talking about going to Marshall and trying to fly back to SB from there. Likely a bit too far for a PG, but we'll take another look later in the week. Peak heat is currently forecast to be Sunday, but it should work ok for a couple of days on either side.
Last edited by sd on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
sd

Re: Mid Sept Heat Wave

Postby Southside » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 am

Yeah, even GFS is calling for a stellar weekend. One thing about forecast is that the front range looks just as good as the desert. So even though it looks like you can get plenty high enough to go OTB from Crestline, for example, I think the better call is to stay out front.

Even though GFS is calling for a good day on Saturday (NAM says great) Sunday looks even better.

Because of the light SSE flow I'll probably head to Crestline for either an attempt for the beach or a long out and return. The turn point for my record OR is Mount Wilson; if the forecast holds that should easily be surpassed this weekend if someone wanted to go for it. Btw, Zac Majors has the longest flight west. I believe he landed in Fillmore.

Here are some old write-ups that covers the area from Crestline to Fillmore if you think you might want to fly from Crestline to points west.

Two of the posts deal with flying east to west from Crestline and Kagel respectively, while the third covers a flight from Kagel to the Crestline area. (feel free to skip through the set-up verbiage)

Kagel to Fillmore-
http://www.hanggliding.org/weblog_entry.php?e=180

Marshall to Wilson (and back):
http://socalxc.blogspot.com/2010/09/mar ... html#links

Kagel to Crestline:
http://socalxc.blogspot.com/2009/03/kagel.html#links
Southside

Postby Southside » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 am

A bit of a change in the wind direction. NAM is showing light SW on the San Gabriels. The safe call would be a flight from Kagel to Crestline. Rumor has it they're having a pool party at Andy Jackson on Sunday, starting at 3:00.
Southside

Postby NMERider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Crestline to Quartz Hill 61 miles yesterday: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/node/922 I was gunning for Frazier Mtn but I ran out of Schlitz near Forger's house and bailed to save energy for Friday when I may make another attempt to tag Frazier from Marshall Peak 102 miles. My real goal is the beach but I don't have that kind of skills or stamina.
Here's a quick & dirty narrated video of the flight: http://youtu.be/LfL9TwbEcCA
NMERider

Postby Paul_Chris » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:12 am

Brendan, SD and I flew the Nuthouse. After logging about 10hrs in the past year, I didn't expected to have the coordination and bump tolerance to make much of the day. Surprisingly, though, for such a stong day it didn't seem particularly punchy (not more so than most Ojai days). I struggled a long time to get up at the Nuthouse, then got to 4k at Spine 1, 5k at Nordhoff, 6.5k at Chief's, and 7k at repeater. Tried the Bluffs and found nothing, while Brendan and SD were reporting 9k+ at the repeater.

Went back to the repeater and got a boomer to 10.2k. SD had already went OTB below a cloud street deep over the Sespe. It looked like the best line, but could result in a serious walk-out (days?) in 100+ degree weather if it didn't work. I headed for Thorn Point, planning to land in Rose Valley if nescesary. Arrived with 7.5k, then tracked a weak thermal over the top, to 8.5k.

From there skipped downwind across Grade and Lockwood Valleys on a few more weak thermals, never getting more than ~8.5k. It would have been better to be deeper, more towards Alamo mountain, but also much more commited. Hit a lot of sink before arriving at Frazier mountain. The north side was shaded in, but I didn't have enough altitude to push around to the south side. Ended up skirting around the north side towards Lake of the Woods. Wind on the ground didn't seem bad, but when I got low, I had very little to no penetration. Came down semi-controlled in chapparal about 1/2 mile from the lockwood valley road. The wing was pretty tangled in the bushes, so I stuffed it in the bag . Eddie was offering retrieve, but before that, someone saw me on the side of the road stopped and offered a ride back to Ojai. :D I was happy to get a flight OTB from the front range. Maybe next time I will come more prepared to go deeper.
Attachments
Flight 09142014.jpg
Paul_Chris

Postby Randall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:49 am

Congrats on a great flight, Chris! Wish I could have joined you guys. Can't wait to read the other reports :)

PS I wonder what the survival strategy would be for a multi-day hike out from the Sespe in 100+ temps...?
Randall

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 am

Niiiiiice!

Judging from report from Chris, it could be days before we hear back from the others, so I guess patience is in order. Nice one Chris. 100+ degree heat is a bit intimidating for landing out and going big, yet it must have been cooler at cloud base though. Glad everyone survived the hike. Props!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story...
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Postby Chris G » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Epic line OTB guys! I hope flights like those become more and more common as we start to connect into the backcountry more, rather than from the back out to Ojai.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby brendanpegg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 am

Well, I had a nice flight. It was neither stellar nor record breaking, but I still had a good time.

In discussing the possibilities with SD he was suggesting altitudes of 15K over the Topa Topa bluffs. I figured that would be plenty to push across the Sespe to I-5. Of course even with 15K possible, that didn't mean I was going to get to 15. I set my own minimum altitude at 12K. Hiking out of the Sespe is not something I wanted to play heavy odds with.

At launch SD said if he could get to 10K over the bluffs he would probably go with that. I made no promises.

It was pretty straightforward from the Nuthouse to the Bluffs. Lots of strong lift. Easy to get into the 6s as I worked my way across. I didn't see SD, and all I got from him on the radio was static, so I didn't know his situation. I saw Chris Paul limping back to the Repeater from low at the Bluffs as I was making my transition over there with about 7K. I also got a good look at the expanse of the Sespe. Endless. Very dry. Very brown. And very hot. Definitely wanted more altitude.

The chase situation was unsettling to me as well. We had no dedicated chase. Tony Deleo was chasing hang gliders but he was already on his way through Lockwood Valley when I got to the Bluffs. And I had not been able to make contact with him on the radio or on the phone that morning. And he certainly wasn't looking for me. So I figured I was pretty much on my own on this 107 degree day. No, I did not want to land in the Sespe.

I yo-yo'd a little at the Bluffs, but the highest I got was 9400. Not willing to go at that height. As I was fizzeling back down I saw Chris head north from the repeater and wished him well. Major cajones even to head for Thorn under the circumstances.

My fizzle on that round took me below the Bluffs, so I slid back over to the Repeater. That was the scary part of the day. The wind was blasting along the ridge. Penetration varied from low negatives to low positives. As I approached the antennas, the odds were about even that I would either get blown over the back or I would be toplanding with zero penetration on the ridge. Odds I would not have accepted earlier in the day.

But I got lucky and kicked the bushes as I squeaked past the antennas and got in front of the venturi. And that was pretty much the end of my gusto. I eventually thermaled back up to 7 or so but now my challenge was getting home. It took a little work to get back over to Chiefs, but once there I got plenty high enough to pull the glide to the LZ next to my house.

Flight time was about 2.5 hours. Glad to be on the ground. Glad to be home.

Congrats to Chris and SD. You both took some very bold lines and I'm glad it worked out so well for you!
brendanpegg

Postby Dizzy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Not quite SB site, but I think you may like two flight reports from Marshall:

http://skydizzy.blogspot.com/2014/09/marshall-to-antelope-valley-72-miles.html

http://skydizzy.blogspot.com/2014/09/marshall-to-soboba-and-back-65-miles.html

PS: Shame on me, no flights from Pine this year, but maybe in the next few weeks...
Dizzy

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 am

Good call Brendan, sometimes things line up nicely, other times its nice to quit while you are ahead. Way to go Alex! I saw on your Facebook post the link to SunDowner's flight, so cool! Is he still in Garlock waiting for a ride?

Cheers,
Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Postby Southside » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:51 pm

My write-up of the day can be found here: http://socalxc.blogspot.com/2014/09/pine-914.html
Southside

Postby Randall » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 am

SD, no flight report? We are eagerly awaiting...
Randall

Postby NMERider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Randall wrote:SD, no flight report? We are eagerly awaiting...

I think SD's working on a comprehensive September heatwave X/C report of most of the major flights in the Ojai through Crestline region between September 6th and 16th.
NMERider

Postby Randall » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

Holy cow! I'll place my order early :)
Randall

Next

Return to Flight Discussion