Sunday Nut?

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sunday Nut?

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Anyone wanna hike the Nut House with me tomorrow? Chiefs was good today (as told to me by Brendan, who toplanded to get his Suburban back down....niiice). Since I couldn't get out, I am jonesing to give it a whirl. If nobody chimes in to go, I will consider a jaunt to SB instead, but prefer the hike (as odd as that sounds).

Gonna try to make it to NHS by 9:30am Sunday (tomorrow) if anyone wants to meet and go play.

Will consider meeting at 10am if only one other is coming, but it gets HOT if you start too late.

Cheers,

Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Re: Sunday Nut?

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:54 pm

9:30am at NHS confirmed. Cheers!
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Postby andy dainsberg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:59 am

DeVietti_Marty wrote:I will consider a jaunt to SB instead, but prefer the hike

luv ya bro. see u there
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby andy dainsberg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:11 am

The Vulture was Skying back to the ridge top when we got to launch @ 1030. -off at 1115. we tagged small 6's over the miles to chief spine. it was classic Chief Spine Elevator conditions once u got anywhere near Twin Peaks. we had am East along the way- so we top landed Chief to let the pm West come in. launching Chief in the summer around 130 is always fun and we had to pick our lulls. before i could launch Marty was up around 7k and Eastbound. i needed to surf east quite a bit lower (not optimum but it worked). we got our best alts at West Repeater-@7300. we flew over the Topa Bluffs and enjoyed the long hands off glide to Santa Paula Ridge- intersecting comfortably high. pretty easy traverse to SP Peak and enjoyed another long glide out over Fillmore with Ks to spare- pulling down at Vons. It was an active flight that commanded attention between the 2 long glides-... caught the bus (with a box of pizza and starbucks chaser) to the Ventura pier where my gf picked us up and drove us back to Ojai, making for a pretty efficient retrieve...
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 am

My what a lovely, industrial strength day!

The hike was hot but tolerable, not even the biting flies could survive the dry season, launched at 11:30 and tried to catch Andy as he charged up and over towards the Pyramid. We leapfrogged to Bruce's and got as high as 5500msl and Andy wisely tanked up again and made it to twin peaks, whereas I tried to get the stooges to work and had to fall back to Bruce's for another elevator to the top floor of 6000msl. Andy was soaring around waiting for me over Chiefs and we both top landed one after the other on launch. It was blowing over 20 at times as we waited to relight, but we were waiting for the west wind to kick in so we could make a go of it to Fillmore. 30 minutes later I unwisely launched into a lull, and tried my hand at rotor SIV over the rocks below. Fortunately it sorted itself out and Andy wisely chose an up cycle before the 20mph+ peak arrived a while after. My first climb took me to 6500msl and I shot over to East Repeater, just clearing it and spent my time going 5mph over the ground (or was that 5mph backwards?) Andy did the skirt around low maneuver which is now his signature move, and we tanked up to 7556msl and soared the Topa Topas on our way to Saint Thomas Aquinas. I stayed more straight south, and Andy took a sweet line a little deeper in. We both met up at Santa Paula ridge, tanked up and bobbed along for a while, tanked up and repeated until the end of the ridge. I left with just enough, and Any followed with plenty of height. Landed at the grass at Vons, walked over to Starbucks and grabbed Iced Coffee, then next door to Little Caesars and walked out with a large pepperoni pizza out of the "hot n ready" box that was waiting for customers who have a bus to catch!

A short walk later we were at the bus stop eating pizza and guzzling our drinks when the bus arrived and took us to Ventura. Andy's friend agreed to boost us from the parking lot near the pier and we were in Ojai in no time and I was back in my car and home by 6 pm. Nice!

Thanks to Andy, LeAnn, and the local bus system. Not to mention Starbucks and Little Caesars!

Andy starts us off at the Nut
Pondering cycles at Chiefs
Lonely at the top
Memorial moment
Got the glide to the grass!
Packing on grass, chillin in the shade, who could ask for more?
Iced Coffee (free with coupon book), Large Pizza $5.38, Bus to Ventura $3.00 = Priceless

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Return to Flight Discussion