Plowshare Sat

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Plowshare Sat

Postby BobA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 am

Good times at Plowshare on Saturday. Carpooled up with Jeff, Loren, Kevin, Max, Jon Blake, Little John, Hammer, and Jay. Met Adam and Charlie at the Big LZ and then Debi and John Hesh on launch. Conditions were good with 15-20 on launch when we arrived and backed down perfectly by 12:30 for decent cycles 5-12. Jon and I scrapped on the overgrown PG launch before getting off - I flew away with a clump of bush in my lines that remained the entire flight. It was easy climbing out - just a matter of finding a smooth one - it was rowdy! First decent climb was to 7k in 700 up :D We all climbed out easily and large convergence lift patches were concentrating around launch. I went down range after every climb to test the air - if I hit sink and head wind for extended period without being able to make the next spine or spine-ridge intersection I turned around back down wind into the good lift. After repeating this process many times over, I eventually moved down range. The wind was all over the place mixing big parcels. I could hit headwind of 12 mph heading E on glide, turn around, get high then repeat the same glide path with 7 mph tail wind 10 mintues later! Hammer and Little John hung back getting higher and higher as I ping pong'd back and fourth for about 2 hours. We climbed out big time finding as much as 1600 up near the cottonwood canyon road - sierra madre intersection up to 11.25k for me, Hammer 11.6k. I had a tail wind of 20 mph at altitude heading East. On glide and out of no-where, ran into a good shear layer that stalled the wing, falling symetrically behind me for a classic SIV practice - after a little freefall :shock: it opened fine, just took a couple of alternating pulls and hands up to keep it over head :D I pushed out of the mtns a bit over the foothills but had to dive back into lower McPherson at 5k after hitting sink and head wind. I groveled as Little John and Hammer stayed on the ridge over Mcpherson and out over me at 8k to New Cuyama HS. I milked it back up to 7k mid way out of the mtns, then flew out to grovel low with a valley thermal 4-5k to allow a glide into a NE headwind of about 6mph to the Burger Barn. With huge dust devils going off on the other side of town, it was rocky for landing. I touched down easily enough but pulled the breaks coinciding with a gust and did a missle man manuever, launching backwards a couple of feet off the ground for a ways. All I could do was laugh at that point. Jay picked me up and we rounded up LJ, Hammer, burgers, and met up with everyone at the big lz and off to Cool Hand Lukes for food and beer. Notably, Jon found convergence to 8.5 k over Spanish Ranch and Charile climbed out from 3200' over Wassiola Rd back to 9 grand for tour back to launch and across the valley to the other side. John Hesh was flying all over but opted to go for rescue and land next to his van with a shredded tire. Adam crossed the valley and toured the Calientes. Pretty sure everyone got their fill! Fun day! 8)
The sky is calling.
BobA

Re: Plowshare Sat

Postby andy dainsberg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 am

that's a fun read bob~ - seems like a real paragliding flight when you have a parasite stuck in your lines, get over 11k, handle a full stall then get launched back landing... dang! ive only flown plowshares twice- what distance did u cover?
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Re: Plowshare Sat

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:53 am

wow! exciting flight! thanks for the story bob! nice flying to all those out there!

Andy, in case bob cant get back to you, its about 20-25 miles from plowshare launch depending on where you land in cuyama/new cuyama. I attached a google earth pic below of the area. it seems to take an odd special day to get past cuyama as you hit stiffer north east winds from bakersfield and south east wind from the draw behind pine up the 33 river bed.

so for that same ole heat wave day we tried our luck at ej bowl. la cumbre reported it 10 degrees hotter then monticito foothills but we thought maybe it would flip by noon due to the 'heat wave'. we were way wrong, it was hotter then a polar bear in the sahara up there and blowing stiff ENE to 20mph at times. we should have gone to school on the fact that all the vultures were soaring the east and north east faces of la cumbre and never getting above the top. Sometimes it would blow straight south but trial and error proved that to be an illusion of rotor. bart attempted launch in a straight 10-12 and ended up in the bushes. hmmmm, he tried again and got airborne then went wildly parachutal sliding down below the vultures den rockpile before getting it flying again. he hung onto the rodeo and angled towards cathedral where he hit a convergence that dug him out of the canyon and gave him a west wind that provided a bump free glide to parma. i felt bad and didnt see that coming as i thought once he got away from launch he would be fine. never listen to me, or at least dont go first if it looks questionable ;) that was enough for the rest of us, so we drove down and grabbed bo's truck at skyport as he did a tandem forward with no wind for an uneventful sledder to parma.

so how did ojai work on heat wave day???

plowshare.JPG
Aaron

Return to Flight Discussion