Southern Sister WIERDNESS

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Southern Sister WIERDNESS

Postby Chip Bartley » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Today, Art (Dr. Air) and i decided to go for a mini xc from Southern Sister to the Conejo Grade and downrange as far as we could. We arrived at S. Sis at about 1330 and made the hike to the top. When we arrived it was pretty grown over and the wind was gusting to 20. We sat and waited a while for the wind to become managable. When we decided to launch, we where able to work our way to 1500 and where enjoying soaring the ridge. After a bit of time, we noticed several police cars at the bottom of the mountain they arrived with sirens blaring and blocked the incoming roads. soon after that, fire trucks, ambulances, rescue trucks and other assorted emergency responce groups arrived and staged. within minutes i heard that familliar sound of the Ventura Cnty. SAR Chopper. When all this started, we thought it may be about us flying in this area. Once all the different agencies showed and the chopper quit circling us i figured we where just witnessing some kind of emergy call having nothing to do with us. So we went on with the flight and successfully completed our flight plan. Once on the groud, Ojai John called and asked if we where down here causing trouble? Obviously, this made us curious as to what he was refering to. He proceeded to tell us that there where breaking news stories that someone witnessed a plane go down at our location and people jumping out with paragliders. ( they actually got the paraglider part right ) needless to say they where refering to us and someone over reacted and had a very vivid imagination.........or where very board........or was a issed-off rancher trying to make a statement. Anyhow, this made for a very odd Friday afternoon of flying in the Conejo mountain range. Thought you all would get a kick out of this story. Have a great week-end.

Chip
Chip B
Chip Bartley

Return to Flight Discussion