Saturday 4/20

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Saturday 4/20

Postby sd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 am

Link to Tess’s first mountain flight
http://paraglide.net/log/13/13_04-20/1_skyport_to_parma_w_tess.htm
10:15 am perception

The surface temperature is climbing quickly in Ojai and is forecasted to touch 90 degrees F. SB will be about 10 degrees cooler. The 6K temperature is about 60 degrees F, but warmer in the boundary layer.

The Nuthouse is likely the best call to maximize the day, but if you aren’t on trail by the time I post this you are likely running late. Some lower level SW is forecast to draw in this afternoon, so an out and return from the Nuthouse west bound and back to Piru looks doable. I’m on the late boat with my 9 year old daughter Tess, so we are opting for something less exciting than a 1K hike in the heat and a strong lapse rate.

Expect to arrive at Parma about noonish. It is still blowing OTB from the NE at 10:15 am, but expect it to back off and draw in at the lower altitudes this afternoon. The SB lapse rate is weaker than Ojai, but hopefully still good enough to get up and move around.

Sunday looks ok in Ojai, but the coast is forecasted to be cooler with some marine influence. Low tide is 1 PM today and a bit later on Sunday.
Last edited by sd on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sd

Re: Saturday 4/20, estimating Parma around noonish

Postby timobarker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 pm

What a gorgeous day! We were lucky to be alive to fly in SB today! The sky was clear, the air was warm and the lift was consistent and everywhere.

I think the defining element of the day was the wind. We launched after 11:00 at the sky port into a south east wind. The wind took Aileron and I down to Alternator, where we met the west wind and our ground speed diminished to 10 mph or so. It was a bit gusty. We turned around and rode the sweet tail wind back to the R and R where Bart was soaring high on what I perceived to be a convergence.

We continued east, occasionally passing the west wind and finding ourselves in east wind and more than once, finding that sweet convergence spot that would take us up over 4k.

We found some excellent convergence at shadow. The lift was smooth and everywhere. But, when I got to the other side of that lift, I found some of the biggest sink I've ever experienced in SB. My glide ratio went to 2:1. From Montecito to the power lines, Aaron and I took turns leading the way, although I don't think I ever looked down on Aaron. He was always above me???? You flying with helium?

After Romero, I didn't stay too long at any one spot. The air was trashy around 4k and I never felt it was necessary to climb big because it was going off everywhere. So every time I bumped my head into the trashy air, I went on glide to the next spot.

From the power lines at 4300, I drew a line along ridges, crabbing the whole time east of snowball ridge. I got hammered by the west wind the whole way. I was at 2500 at snowball. By the time I hit the 101 I was around 600 ft. So, I turned around and landed in a farm field across the street from the Girls Inc fields. I could have landed there, but there were field games in progress.

What a fun day! The weather forecast was right on and the view was spectacular. Did anybody else notice the lupin and poppies that we were flying over? Sweet!
timobarker

Postby Pipkin_Tom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:28 am

Met Andy at 10a for the Nuthouse hike but ended up getting a late start. Seems I forgot my cell phone. It probably comes as a big surprise to those of you that know me that I would actually forget something. We talked about heading west towards SB. The phone might come in handy if I wanted to get a ride home from some faraway place. The cell wasn’t found so I decided to just fly local.

I launched first. Smooth climb out with Andy right behind. I wasn’t crazy about the leeside spankage at spine 1, and it only got worse on the way to the Pyramid. The poor glide had dropped me into the lee. I decided to drop back to spine 1 to tank up before heading out to the HS. Topped out at 5.2k in super trashy air and headed out.

Unfortunately, I met the land owner of the property across from NHS soon after landing . He wasn’t happy that I landed on his property. He was a nice enough guy, and mentioned that he used to fly PG at Torrey. His name is Michael Maloney. His family goes back many generations in the Ojai Valley and at one time owned a big portion of Ojai. He was somewhat open to the idea of allowing us to land there but wanted assurance and documentation that he wouldn’t get sued. He said if his attorneys were satisfied with our insurance and waivers, his extended family might give the ok to land there. I’m not optimistic about our chances. I have his contact info if someone wants to give it a shot.
Pipkin_Tom

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Too funny Tom, about you forgetting things....laughing out loud after the last time I flew with you too.

Hey, I would like to take the lead on the land owner concerns, and will call you for the details to make contact with the land owner after checking with USHPA and reviewing all available ways of putting this owner at ease.

I have often wondered what the permission/land owner position/situation was for that field, and, should it some day be developed, well, it will be a sad day for sure, but worse would be to lose the use of it in the mean time as well.

Talk to you soon,

Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Re: Nordhoff Fields

Postby sd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm

DeVietti_Marty wrote:I would like to take the lead on the land owner concerns... should it some day be developed, well, it will be a sad day for sure...

Not sure which field you are talking about. Seems like there are plenty to choose from and I always thought it preferable to land on green grass in the stadium, which is where the old H4 Topa Flyers used to land their hang gliders, and where Scotty landed his hang glider this past November (but he did have a drag chute). The High School isn’t a glide from anywhere, so you have to use some basic XC skills to get there. In my perception, the stadium appears to be significantly less intimidating than the flush options below the Nuthouse.

Disclaimer: I’m not encouraging anyone to land at the High School if they feel it is beyond their skill level. I remember when (forgot his name) caught his wingtip on eucalyptus trees trying to land at Westmont in the early 80. He nosed over and crashed into the roof of a utility shed, breaking both legs badly as they slapped across the rafters.

Having thrown in my 2 cents, I do appreciate Marty’s representation on our behalf and Tom’s notification. We should make an effort to avoid annoying land owners. We’ve lost a number of LZs in Ojai over the years (and gained a few also). It seems that talking to the owner is low risk if Marty can afford the time.
sd

Re: West Wind Decision Zone

Postby sd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 pm

timobarker wrote:From the power lines at 4300, I drew a line along ridges, crabbing the whole time east of snowball ridge. I got hammered by the west wind the whole way.

If there is west wind, I recommend deciding if you are going to attempt to get through The Pass before leaving Castle Ridge for Power Line Ridge. You can glide out from the Castle points pretty low and still get out to good LZs without fighting the west wind. It is a longer glide out from Power Line Ridge, and if there is wind from the west, you will need to crab against it. If I flush at Noon, I’ll fall off with the west wind and reach for the firebreak on the back side of Gobernator Hill. You can land on the fire break, hike to the top, and relaunch off the south side. It's is a little scruffy up top, but hopefully the cows are keeping it clear enough. http://paraglide.net/comment/04/the_pass_eastbound.htm
sd

Re: Saturday 4/20

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 am

loved tess's write up! definately takes the cake for write up of the year.

i headed out from the powerlines that day(w tiMay! And hammer, hammer made it back to e beach) and landed at the big field near the beach at the end of linden. i have landed there many times as i know the state park beach is off limits. well the ranger gave me a verbal warning and let me know that the big grassy field is also part of the state park. i looked up the state park boundaries and she was right. however the beach on the west side of linden is city property and ok to land on.
Aaron

Postby Dainsberg_Andrew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 am

sd wrote:Not sure which field you are talking about.
.. we're talking about the big field just adjacent to and N of the NHS football field (right on the other side of the 33 from the football field). i'd say most of us still do typically land on the football field- if its not in use. an angry administrator/nice cop combo chased us outta there too a couple yrs ago, but the fury there has seemed pretty much escapable with our relatively infrequent/weekend landings. if you've made it "to the high school," landing the big field is less technical and easily the better call for </= P3s, clinic participants, etc. the owner just happened to be weedwacking a path to the tree in his field that day.. luckily (tom naturally being about as friendly as anyone could be) we got a good start with the guy. imo, it would be worth it to try to score the big field as a legal lz-. (thx marty...) another potential lz (especially if anyone is working in the big field) is the ojai meadows preserve - just W of and adjacent to the football field- i have landed there before too, but i cant imagine open arms if any of the volunteers were out there working...
Dainsberg_Andrew

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 am

Just got off the phone with one of the several co-owners of the field in question today, Michael Maloney.

While others may have locked horns with Michael's Father (in the past), I have nothing but nice things to say about our 30+ minute conversation today. Michael, a mediator, arbitrator and conflict resolution expert, is a modern day common sense genius by trade (www.thinkcommonsense.com). That said, he is willing to look into USHPA insurance with me and the SCPA and try to ensure a minimal liability risk for the property we know and love as "the High School" even though it is across the street.

That said, Michael is no fool, and he and his family has been managing land for 150 years in this area. They are no strangers to being taken advantage of, sued and maligned for essentially being amicable and generous in the past. I am sympathetic to that and try to imagine this from his family's point of view. The good thing is, we have been landing there for years, and without incident (read: lawsuit). that is a good thing.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high, but I am hopeful this may work out. In the mean time, I recommend landing at the Ojai meadows preserve to the West of the High School as Andy mentioned. Michael won't have much luck with his family or his lawyer if someone piles into the ground or the big tree in the field while this gets sorted out. He will be out of the country for a few weeks, and I will work with another of the family in his absence.

Thanks to Rob Sporrer for his help, Beth at USHPA, Little John, and John Blake and the rest of the board on the SCPA for all your help thus far. A big thanks to Tom Pipkin for his friendly demeanor in the initial contact with Michael. He asked me to personally give you his regards and wished you well.

Cheers,

Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Postby Pipkin_Tom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Win or lose Marty, I’d like to thank you for taking this project on. You make a great ambassador.

Sounds like you met the same Michael Maloney that I did. Very cool and down to earth. He and his family have done great things for the Ojai valley. Either way this go’s, Michael Maloney is a good guy.

Again Thanks Marty and to everyone else that’s pitched in to help.
Pipkin_Tom

Postby Lew Riffle » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 am

Marty....Maloney is a character and I have known him for years. If there is any resolution in this matter then Michale will find find it provided that there is good sense, consideration, and respect given from the the flight community. No matter the outcome it is worth knowing the rollo mando good sense commando for the insight alone! He is one hell of a good fly caster as well. Lew Riffle
Lew Riffle

Return to Flight Discussion