Sunday, 2/10 / Skyport to Lake Casitas

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sunday, 2/10 / Skyport to Lake Casitas

Postby sd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:10 am

Link to SD’s flight on Sunday
Skyport to Chismahoo Trail to Lake Casitas
http://paraglide.net/log/13/13_02-10/1_skyport_to_lake_casitas.htm
Little change from previous forecast. Perhaps a bit more wind from the north up higher, but La Cumbre Peak was calm at dawn and Montecito was only 3-8 from the east. Mostly calm on the surface everywhere at dawn. Frost in Ojai, ice in Rose Valley. Well above freezing on the coast, but I did have a thin layer of frost on my car roof at dawn. As expected, a little more early morning inversion than Saturday, but less than the norm for Feb. Still on track for Parma at 9, but John Scott’s truck is limited on seating. The Spin Doctor and Bob Hurlbett are meeting at Parma at 9. Expect to launch around 10ish.
Meeting Diablo and Southside at Bailard about 8:30. Should roll through Parma by 9. The weather seems to be unfolding as forecast.

Saturday morning look at Sunday

The forecast for Sunday looks promising. Diablo is crewing for South Side and SD. Meet time to be determined after looking at the weather Sunday morning. With the 6K temperature in the lower single digits, we can likely go early if the sunrise inversion isn’t too strong. There wasn’t much inversion this morning, but with less wind tonight, the boundary layer might be colder Sunday morning.

We are under a cold air mass behind Friday’s frontal passage. The forecast for Saturday is calling for some post frontal wind with small craft advisories through tonight. Saturday’s wind may back down earlier than expected. It is only blowing about 5 mph from the north at La Cumbre Peak at 9am. The mid channel has some wind, but it is light north of Point Conception. The Saturday balloon is showing about 20 knots, which coincides with the early winds aloft forecast, but the balloon went up before sunrise.

The wind forecast for Sunday is light and variable before building into a Santa Anna offshore flow on Monday into mid week.

The cold air mass and sunshine should equate to a good lapse rate.
Last edited by sd on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sd

Re: Sunday, 2/10 / 8:30 meet at Bailard

Postby NMERider » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:44 pm

removed by author
Last edited by NMERider on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
NMERider

Re: Sunday, 2/10 / Skyport to Lake Casitas

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:23 pm

seemed like the early birds got the good stuff today as they drew way cool lines out front high while we were gathering at parma(they launched about 10 i think). i didnt have much luck the darker it got. i chased a sun line and lost over near inspiration point/cochapaw. spent the majority of the flight ridgesoaring inspiration point high fiving the hikers. one yelled 'show me your tits',.. so i had that going for me. finally got my bra undone and obliged with some hairy bee stings for the young lad. landed at robins after an hour. heard sd on the radio something about 'chismahoo, hiking and trying to relaunch'... cant wait for that story. hammer didnt seem to have any problem staying glued to cloudbase. lots of people soared at cloudbase all around antennas and holy hills. fun day! unfortunately jabber jaws smacked in at parma and dislocated his shoulder. hope you heal soon! i saw a gopro on your glider so hopefully you got some sweet crash footage you can post.

IMG_1820.jpg
Aaron

Postby NMERider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 am

removed by author
Last edited by NMERider on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
NMERider

Postby John Fritsche » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am

That video scares me, because it doesn't look like all that hard a whack. I don't like to think that a simple hard landing might result in a dislocated shoulder. I had my first good whack in a few years in December (my first-ever downwind landing), and I remember it as being more severe than yours, but I was unharmed.
Is the video just deceiving and it was worse than it looks? I would hardly call that a "crash." Heal well, Jonathan.
John Fritsche

Postby NMERider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am

removed by author
Last edited by NMERider on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
NMERider

Postby Southside » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm

If anyone cares here's a video from that day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyItxWa9c8

John
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion