Cuyama Dreaming

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Cuyama Dreaming

Postby georgiapilots » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:06 pm

Hey Ya'll,
Georgia Pilots here again. Anyone planning to fly in Cuyama this weekend, either Pine Mt., or Ploughshare? We are craving some airtime and have some freetime this weekend. We would consider coming into Town if it looks like it will be good. Thanks--K
georgiapilots

Re: Cuyama Dreaming

Postby Skippy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 am

Are you HG or PG pilots? Have you flown there before?
Skippy
Skippy

Postby georgiapilots » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:26 am

Hey Skippy,
We are Hang pilots and we are new to the area. I am H-4 and Jen probably won't be flying, which means she might be up to a turn-around retrieve, but maybe not an x-c retrieve. Our 6 month old son will be with us and that might mean a long day for her and baby. We are out of range on our cell phones up in Burgas Canyon off hwy 33 in the Cuyama Valley, so we can't call you. However, we have access to our Voicemail, so you can leave a message for us on either 423 987 1389 or 423 838 2450. I hope we get some others interested. Thanks for replying to our message--Keith
georgiapilots

Postby Skippy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Keith,
Cool. I don't fly Pine, so I won't go there. I'm up for flying Plowshare this weekend, providing it looks good. It's a convergence site, so predicting that site is quite tricky. I think it's been on for the past 4 days though. I'll check on the weather tonight, and again first thing in the morning. I think it has good potential to be flyable this weekend. If you are interested, you want to meet at the turn off near the LZ on the 33 (+/- 25 miles West of New Cuyama) around 10am (no later). I'll call you to give you more info. I'll try to rally a few more poeple too.
Note that it might be quite hot in the valley tomorrow (90-100 or so), so you want to make sure you are prepared with a small baby (A/C, water, shade).
My cell is 805 570 6566
Skippy
Skippy

Postby georgiapilots » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:40 pm

Do you mean on 166?

We are coming from the other direction (east of New Cuyama). We live on 33 10 miles from the 33/166 junction, so it would be good to meet at the LZ. We heard that it is 20 miles past the Buckhorn restaurant in New Cuyama.

33 is closed south of us, so I'm guessing that's why your not coming from that direction.

We can only fly Saturday.

Jen
georgiapilots

Postby Skippy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:08 pm

Yes, it's on the 166... Duh! Sorry. Indeed, it's about 20-25 miles West of the Buckhorn, on the 166. There is a fairly large gravel pull-out area with an emergency call box (I think!) on the right side of the road as you go West. The road veers off to the left and into some sharper turns, and the valley will narrow right after that pull-out area. I'll see if I can find some GPS coordinates and call you with them tonight. I'll also be on the radio on 144.250 (cell phones don't work great in that area at all, but I'll have mine anyway).
Pay attention to the LZs as you drive from the Buckhorn to the LZ. There are many, but a good number of them are off-limit, even though they look very inviting. If we fly this weekend, I'll give you more info then.
Skippy
Skippy

Postby georgiapilots » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:15 pm

Great! We've driven that rd so we should be able to find it no problem. We don't use radio's or GPS, so you have to deal with our low-tech. We can be there in about an hour, so we will look for a message from you tonight or in the morning that it's a go. --K
georgiapilots

Return to Flight Discussion