Pine Sat 7/22

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Pine Sat 7/22

Postby DBLD » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Ok. Found the button to push for a new post. Also found out that emoticoms don't come up in the window that you write in :roll: (would that be called the editorial window?) whatever.
What I really wanted to post about was, IS ANYBODY FLYIN' TOMORROW??? Pine has been Nuclear for the last two days. Better bring something with a frame in it. 8)
DD
DBLD

Re: Pine Sat 7/22

Postby airgasm » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:36 pm

I would be up for it if we get some SW aloft.
252-2083
airgasm

Postby Robb » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:30 pm

Five pilots and Eddie piled into Deans truck and headed up the hill. We were just setting up when the hang pilots arrived. Ron, Hansford, Randall, and I voted Dean to launch first, but I laid out first and punched off before Ron could push me out of the way. I was quickly 100 over launch, and then just as quickly kicking the Bonzi tree. Ron and I scratched around there for a long time, then, while my back was turned, Ron caught something and went to 13k leaving me wondering what happened. I got the next one and took it to 11k and picked a spot for Rhonda (on the ridge line between N and S launches, near the dogleg in the road) The next thermal took me over 13k, but Randall reported he had landed out but was "near" the trail. You can't be near enough in 100 degree heat. I figured we'd better all stay to the south side so I made a play for Ojai. Before I crossed the 33, my 13k was 9k, and I couldn't even get back to launch. I headed west and landed at Condor ranch.
Flight time: 1:15
Up: 1280
down: 1358
Max: 13389
Robb

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Congrats to John G., John Lyons, and Lee Khan for successfully crossing no-mans-land and arriving at the training hill! Also, congrats to Dean-O for more-or-less the same in a paraglider! (Okay, so he didn't quite make the hill, but he'll probably do that today (Sun.)). For me, it was a nail biter flight simply because I'm fairly new to Pine and had no real clue about what I could make and what I couldn't. (That is a deceptively good glide heading south.) I got to 12.7k over launch and went on glide towards S.B., then chickened out after about a third of the way and hung a left to Foxtail field where I joined DD. I would have died of heatstroke if it hadn't been for him (and Skippy, who arrived for retreive shortly after I landed.) Thanks guys. The development over/behind launch was really something to behold.

Pokie

Return to Flight Discussion